Doom 3 BFG VR

noko

Supreme [H]ardness
I did not see this listed in the forums here. If you have a Vive or Rift and Doom 3 BFG then this is all free.

Here is link to configure Doom 3 BFG to use VR.

Works great with the Vive. Played about 2 hours tonight maybe longer. If you are sensitive to motion sickness this may not work for you - otherwise it is rather fun. I am surprised how well it comes across with the controls and the game itself. Seeing the big machines inside of game animating or moving looks really cool. While some of the stuff looks flat since it was design for a 2d monitor, still looks really good especially when dark overall. Exploring is way more fun now as well.

I initially just ran the VR mod and had no issues. Then I installed the Texture HD pak, which then the game would not work. Inside of the HD texture pak is a file called _remove generated files which is a batch file. I ran that and now Doom 3 BFG runs in VR with the better textures.

On a 1070 using SteamVR in game frame timing I am getting around 6ms and it is very smooth.

• Using SMAA1x - MSAA does not work right in this game or does little
  • Do not use Soft shadows - it kills performance into reprojection - they don't look good anyways in VR while the hard shadows look great
  • Make sure vertical sync is not on in game or drivers
  • Start game in directory with SteamVR on - starting in Steam can have performance issues
Better then I expected.

The Default Controls for VR
=================================================================================================
Gamepad, keyboard/mouse, are the same from the original Doom 3 BFG.
For motion options see CONSOLE.TXT
UI VR Controls
* Pointing Cursor controlled by head direction.
* Pointing Cursor Clicking is done with the Right Trigger.
* Back out of menus with the Left Trigger.
* Highlight menu items with Left Touchpad/joystick.
* Select Highlighted menu items by Clicking Right Touchpad/joystick button.
* Back out of menus by Clicking Left Touchpad/joystick button.

Default Game VR Controls:
* Move with the left touchpad.
* Jump is the Left Trigger.
* Shoot/Talk/Activate is the Right Trigger.
* Flashlight is toggled with the Left Grip (Hydra left bumper).
* Reload Weapon by the Right Grip (Hydra right bumper).
* Switch to Previous Weapon by pressing Left on Right Touchpad. (clicking right stick of Hydra)
* Switch to Next Weapon by pressing Right on Right Touchpad. (clicking right stick of Hydra)
* PDA is toggled with the Left Menu Button (button 4 on the Hydra)
* Pause Menu is toggled with the Right Menu Button (button 4 on the Hydra)
The VR mod has two text files, one for Controls and other Console commands.

Yeah, its a top mod, been playing it on Rift for about a month.
Its as though it was designed for VR.

Dont forget the HD pack.
Full setup info here
https://www. reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/5e1cbp/allinone_doom_3_bfg_vr_mod_texture_pack_guide/

Had to insert a space to prevent the forum modifying the URL, like in the ops post.
Remove it before going there.

Yep, I played Doom 3 three times to max difficulty more then a decade ago - loved the atmosphere and it took me away. Played BFG about half-way and gave up on it. In VR it is the best and most fun I've had so far with Doom 3. Plus I am really getting interested in how this game was constructed by what are 3d models and what are simulated by using textures that you could get away with just using a monitor. Comparing to Arizona Sunshine which was made for VR it holds up fairly good but really pales in geometry of Arizona Sunshine. Really for me Arizona Sunshine is first AAA VR game and it is really good. Still playing Doom 3 in VR can be an excellent experience.

Very cool game in Oculus Touch. Still trying to get used to full locomotion and not getting Motion Sickness. I feel like falling down every time I walk around ingame...

Very cool game in Oculus Touch. Still trying to get used to full locomotion and not getting Motion Sickness. I feel like falling down every time I walk around ingame...
Time may help a lot plus a neat trick is to blink or momentarily close your eyes. A lot of folks have issue with height changes, like going up or down stairs etc. if you do just close you eyes or do several blinks. Of course you may never get really use to it and if the game is not comfortable it will not be too fun to play.

As for turning, I found it is best to do the physical turn vice controller turn in VR or once again do some blinks if you have to use a controller. In Serious Sam First Encounter that is about the only thing that can get to me after awhile. Still as time goes on that has almost become a non-issue.

Anyways just closing your eyes the mind will immediately orientate itself with what the body is actually doing.

Time may help a lot plus a neat trick is to blink or momentarily close your eyes. A lot of folks have issue with height changes, like going up or down stairs etc. if you do just close you eyes or do several blinks. Of course you may never get really use to it and if the game is not comfortable it will not be too fun to play.

As for turning, I found it is best to do the physical turn vice controller turn in VR or once again do some blinks if you have to use a controller. In Serious Sam First Encounter that is about the only thing that can get to me after awhile. Still as time goes on that has almost become a non-issue.

Anyways just closing your eyes the mind will immediately orientate itself with what the body is actually doing.

I started to actually walk in place everytime I move. LOL. Tried out Onward last night, and that game rocks too. I'm pretty lazy so most of the time I am literally lying proned on the floor waiting for a sniper victim to walk by....

I started to actually walk in place everytime I move. LOL. Tried out Onward last night, and that game rocks too. I'm pretty lazy so most of the time I am literally lying proned on the floor waiting for a sniper victim to walk by....
lol, I've done that too since gliding/floating around does not seem too natural in the least bit.

Download it, install HD mod, install VR mod, run it.

Back