DOOM 2016 Performance Issues "Stuttering" & random framerates / Times

Krenum

Fully [H]
Hey folks, decided to fire up Doom 2016 again. I completed the game using a GTX 980 at 1080p. No issues at all.

My current system is a RX 580 8GB, same processor i7 6700K @ 4.6ghz & 16GB of RAM,

My issue is the game is very choppy running at 1440p with Freesync @ 75hz. My frametimes & framerates are all over the place, from 75fps dropping to 40 & back up to 60-75. The game plays very choppy. When I move forward its like the game does a stutter , even when panning the camera. Also, I have noticed that the GPU isn't keeping its maximum workload like my other games F4, W3 ect., sometimes It will run at 1410mhz, then drop down into the 1300's while playing Doom.

I know my system is up to snuff to play it at Ultra settings, has anyone else experienced this on an AMD card? I'm using the Vulkan API. Latest drivers have been installed on the video card.

Alright, used DDU and installed the latest Drivers. Game still plays like garbage. Constant stuttering with frametimes & rates all over the place. I do not know what is causing it. Pretty frustrating.

Can you try to reset all graphics settings back to defaults and start from there? What are the temps on the radeon card? Any throttling issues? Doom 2016 is a very scalable game and almost any graphics card can play well on it, so it is a bit odd.

I had a similar issue with Doom 2016 back when the game was released, quickly figured out it was the Avast Firewall component of the Avast Antivirus Premier edition causing the issue, uninstalling that component immediately fixed the issue and the game went back to being rock solid buttery smooth.

I had a similar issue with Doom 2016 back when the game was released, quickly figured out it was the Avast Firewall component of the Avast Antivirus Premier edition causing the issue, uninstalling that component immediately fixed the issue and the game went back to being rock solid buttery smooth.

I'm not running any Antivirus software other than MS Security Essentials (W10). I'll try disabling it the next time I run the game.

Can you try to reset all graphics settings back to defaults and start from there? What are the temps on the radeon card? Any throttling issues? Doom 2016 is a very scalable game and almost any graphics card can play well on it, so it is a bit odd.

I've tried reverting the game to default settings, still a no go. The graphics card temperature runs at anywhere from 60-80c at load with an agressive fan curve set to 85% at 80c. Also there is no dust build up in my PC, I clean it every week, all the components are in "like new condition".

Ive read some other forum posts about Bethesda releasing an update for the game that caused problems but I haven't been able to find a post specific to my problem. Mostly people just end up talking about low framerates.

If you use Freesync and Gsync, in the settings of the GPU you will need to disable vsync, AND also in any game setting that has that configuration. Personally, I use 1070 with fast vsync and always disable in game sync for no tearing, fast input, and more FPS; it's kind of similar. If the game has auto settings make sure it is off. Dunno, if this is the issue, but it is what you are supposed to be configured at for any of the Free or G sync'ing monitors.

If you use Freesync and Gsync, in the settings of the GPU you will need to disable vsync, AND also in any game setting that has that configuration. Personally, I use 1070 with fast vsync and always disable in game sync for no tearing, fast input, and more FPS; it's kind of similar. If the game has auto settings make sure it is off. Dunno, if this is the issue, but it is what you are supposed to be configured at for any of the Free or G sync'ing monitors.

Yes. AMD has profile settings you can set for your games, I use Freesync enabled but have Vsync off in the game settings. Screen tearing isn't the issue here. Its more of a performance issue with frametimes being all over the board with microstuttering.

Doom is the only game that has this issue on my system.

Well Ive tried everything I can think of. Took all of my Overclocks off. Running default settings on my motherboard, played the game at lowest settings, updated all of my drivers, disabled all but vital programs for windows. Game still runs like shit, frametimes are still all over the fuckin place & microstutter like mad.

FINALLY FIXED IT!

Ok so after digging around on the interwebs I finally found a post that had my same problem, this guy went through hell to fix it, the secret was to turn the Razor Chroma options OFF in the Keyboard & Mouse settings in the game options. Now everything is butter smooth with Freesync enabled.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/doom-2016-doesnt-feel-smooth-on-high-end-system.33194/page-6

Hopefully this will help anyone else that comes across this problem. Im glad it wasn't a hardware related issue.

That is one heck of a find! Well done

Thanks, but the credit goes to the guy in that forum that found the fix, I was just lucky enough to find & apply it. Hopefully it can save someone else the trouble of figuring out why their performance isn't were it should be.

Seems a bit ridiculous that something as simple as a profile setting can cause such a mess.

Thanks, but the credit goes to the guy in that forum that found the fix, I was just lucky enough to find & apply it. Hopefully it can save someone else the trouble of figuring out why their performance isn't were it should be.

Seems a bit ridiculous that something as simple as a profile setting can cause such a mess.
Well, it is Razer.

Lesson here is don't buy rgb anything

Lesson here is don't buy rgb anything

I agree. But I was hard pressed to find a decent backlit keyboard that wasn't "Gamer" related, plus I got it on sale at Target for $40 bucks, a pretty good price it seemed. Its a Razor Ornata Chroma.

I agree. But I was hard pressed to find a decent backlit keyboard that wasn't "Gamer" related, plus I got it on sale at Target for $40 bucks, a pretty good price it seemed. Its a Razor Ornata Chroma.

Totally worth it for 40 dollars

Absolutely crazy.

Most people would have given up and blamed it on AMD drivers.

Under keyboard and mouse settings turn off the "chroma app".

"gaming keyboards"

That is some nice info to retain though
But this is exactly why i prefer my system lean instead of full of gimmick

I love LEDs all over the place. The more blinking lights the better. If I had a room like the Mother room in Alien, I'd be a happy person. However, I would always run them off of their own MCU if it was my own product. That's absolutely ridiculous that a keyboard or mouse could cause those side-effects. Nice find for the people that found it.

I haven't heard anything good about Razer's software. Glad you found what was causing your issues.

Back