• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Don't use 3.3v AGP?

Tiny

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 31, 2003
Messages
6,346
I am building my father a new computer and the motherboard I got him (Asrock P4V88) had this sticker on the AGP slot:

agp1ld.jpg


Since I know bubkiss about video cards and the different stuff for AGP, I need to know if the cards I plan on using and testing it with are the unwanted 3.3v AGPs.

I plan on getting everything setup and running on this ATI Rage card:


But can't find any info on if it is 3.3v or not.

Once everything is up and running...I will have him running on this XFX FX5200:
http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/listConfigurationDetails.jspa?productConfigurationId=968

Are either of those 3.3v AGP?

Is it better to run my PCI card for setting it up rather than the ATI RAGE card? He can't use the FX5200 yet because that is what I am using now until my 6600GT comes to me.
 
Isn't 3.3v AGP 1x/2x? your board probably supports only 4x/8x agp, which the fx5200 is.
 
3.3 is the older cards.Anything recent will be fine. (less than two years old)

Rage is pretty old, rage theater is not necessarliy , is that just one of the chips on the card. What is the real model. get a cheap 20 dollar mx440 or something

Rage theater can be found on quite a few ATI cards (even recent ones)
 
So the FX 5200 is fine, and the ATI Rage is out, right?

I guess I can use the PCI card to setup and test, and then use the FX5200 when I get my card.

THis is what the Rage card says on the sticker and what it looks like:

dscf04016li.jpg

dscf04030ys.jpg
 
Phranq said:
That would be your best bet.

That is what I thought, but I wanted to make darn sure before hand. Thanks for the info and the confirmation.
 
lol, me either! :eek:

I will just go with the PCI to be safe. :)
 
The ATi card will work fine, it's clear from the picture that it's keyed for 1.5v AGP signalling.
 
Oh, cool.

So any AGP card with only one notch is 3.3v?

No AGP card with more than one notch is 3.3v?
 
Actually, Tiny, what you have is an original Radeon DDR (aka Radeon 7200) card. (The tip-off: It has 64MB of DDR memory.) As such, it supports both 3.3V and 1.5V signaling -- and the card operates at 1.5V on a 1.5V motherboard.
 
E4g1e said:
Actually, Tiny, what you have is an original Radeon DDR (aka Radeon 7200) card. (The tip-off: It has 64MB of DDR memory.) As such, it supports both 3.3V and 1.5V signaling -- and the card operates at 1.5V on a 1.5V motherboard.

Also cool.

Thanks.

I am going with the PCI, just cause I don't want to risk it even though there isn't a risk. I am weird like that.
:)
 
I thought the gaps in the connectors comply with the voltage and AGP version. If the mobo does not support 3.3v, the card will NOT fit no matter what you do (e.g. Voodoo3 on a 1.5v AGP=No), if the card supports both 1.5 and 3.3 volts however (ti4200 has both), it will work with both versions and have the gaps to fit.

Maybe your mobo had a manufacturing defect and they accidentally put in the wrong AGP slot and the wrong card will still fit?

http://www.ertyu.org/~steven_nikkel/agpcompatibility.html

Note the how the gaps in the conntector corresponds to the voltage making it physically impossible to fit the wrong card. That pink note shouldn't even be there if it was properly assembled.

EDIT: Aw nuts, coz beat me.
 
Here is what the boards AGP slot looks like. It says 8xAGP above it, but it had that note on there so I didn't want to risk it, not knowing what a 3.3v card was.

agp6pw.jpg


What is weird also, is that right out of the box from Newegg, where I bought this new, it smells like computer parts do when they get burned out. That is why I want to test it before getting it all setup in the case and everything.
 
Yah, I looked up the numbers and found the 7200 card, so that's when I said it probably would work, but I never want my advice to fry someone's PC :p
 
Here's 3.3v AGP. A Voodoo 3.

voodoo30jo.jpg


No way that thing can fit :p

EDIT: Disclaimer: I will not be resposible if you fry your PC :D :D :D
 
Ah, I see.

Since it doesn't have that second notch like the newer AGP it won't fit. I get it now.

Sorry, I am a visual/hands-on learner. :p

Dang...I should have quoted you before you added the disclaimer! ;)

EDIT***

Thanks for the help everyone. Now I am off to test her out. If it does fry....I won't post again for a while, as to not risk shorting out my computer with my tears. ;)
 
Actually, it doesn't necessarily have to have 2 notches to be 3.3v. Two-notched cards are standards that support 3.3v as well as 1.5v; 3.3v-only cards still have one notch, it's just closer to the back of the case.

I think.
 
just wanted to add. i have the exact same video card as you. It actually a really old school radeon. i believe its called a radeon VIVO..

but yeah. it will work perfectly fine. It's currently in my shuttle right now.
 
Back
Top