Don't Starve

We already had a thread about this game. But true, very strange and fun game.

Only other thread I found on this game had three whopping posts.

I don't understand why it hasn't generated more interest. It's quite a challenging little game. Not so much minecraft as a survival game with an open world to manipulate, though not to the block-by-block extent of the aforementioned game.

Did it ever change? When I played it in Beta forever ago it was rather cheesy. You research everything, start over. Do some map hoping and exploring to screenshot everything so you know what the whole world is, start over. Then you succeed.

Did it ever change? When I played it in Beta forever ago it was rather cheesy. You research everything, start over. Do some map hoping and exploring to screenshot everything so you know what the whole world is, start over. Then you succeed.

it's changed pretty drastically with additional content and such... biggest change from when it seems you played is the research system - now you don't build up 'research credit' instead you prototype the item with req'd materials when near a science machine, alchemy lab, etc. then you can build it anywhere if you have materials

it's a pretty fun puzzling/wiki survival game - I say wiki as you practically need to look up some stuff like food recipes in the crock pot for instance if you don't want to experiment on everything and potentially have to start over

they keep adding stuff too... I think yesterday they added a new 'cave' system that you open up and go underground, adds stuff in the top world too like bats since you opened the cave... they plan on adding a lot more too

I bought this during a recent GOG sale. Pretty awesome. I don't understand how it didn't get more attention. The art and writing are great. A real survival game and not the arena deathmatch that is DayZ or similar.

I just started playing this a few days ago. I'm hooked.

I'd totally recommend it to someone that likes survival games and, to some extent, Sim games.

The game feels a little shallow at first, a bit toy-ish. In reality, it's quite deep, although not entirely on Minecraft level. After playing it for about ~14 hours, I had to read a wiki as some things were rather difficult for me. A wiki on the game has ~500 pages.

So, just a friendly thread bump. More people should totally notice this game.

Reign of Giants is in the beta stage right now, or whatever they call it.

It's quite fun, it adds a bit more depth to the game, for those of you that got bored.

There are two more seasons, spring and fall. Fall is the new easy season, summer got a winter-like overhaul. In the summer, you have to watch out for overheating (similar to freezing). They added a whole bunch of items / techniques to prevent from overheating.

Spring and fall now have rain (not sure about summer yet) that actually affects you beyond some sanity loss. I.e., you get wet and may potentially freeze from rain, from what I have read. Either one is easily balanced by parasols and items that decrease the wetness level. Also, items can get wet and fall out when using them or keeping them in the inventory. It can also rain... Frogs. I've encountered one frog rain at this point (I'm at day 60ish). Holy shit, it is dangerous. :)

Beyond that, they added a couple of creatures, and, well, giants.

I haven't "met" any yet, beyond the winter yeti (but that's not part of RoG), or whatever it is called (oh, I hate that thing sooo much).

For $4, definitely worth it, quite a lot of fun.

I'll have to start playing again if there's a new expansion. Such a great game

Eh, I don't like the overhead ISO viewpoint, so probably won't ever play this one. But I do like the art style.

Also, I refuse to pay for a single "Early Access" game until at least one of the half-dozen of them I've already bought stops being total crap and becomes a real game. I'm quickly coming to the opinion that Early Access only motivates developers to never release an actual game, it's a scam and I'm not falling for it (again).

And now they're releasing paid DLC for an Early Access game?? All. New. Low. Maybe if the game ever gets out of beta and becomes an official release, and when I can get a complete package of the game that includes all DLC along with the main game, then I'll think about buying it.

Eh, I don't like the overhead ISO viewpoint, so probably won't ever play this one. But I do like the art style.

Also, I refuse to pay for a single "Early Access" game until at least one of the half-dozen of them I've already bought stops being total crap and becomes a real game. I'm quickly coming to the opinion that Early Access only motivates developers to never release an actual game, it's a scam and I'm not falling for it (again).

And now they're releasing paid DLC for an Early Access game?? All. New. Low. Maybe if the game ever gets out of beta and becomes an official release, and when I can get a complete package of the game that includes all DLC along with the main game, then I'll think about buying it.

This game has been out for a long time. I don't know what you're talking about.

Don't Starve is out of early access. The paid DLC is in early access. Maybe my post was confusing.

Don't Starve is out of early access. The paid DLC is in early access. Maybe my post was confusing.

No, I don't think I even looked at your post. Just went to check out this game on Steam, and could have sworn it still said early access. Oops, looking at wrong page I guess. I'm still not buying it 'till all the DLC and main game are available as a single package though... and for like $4.99.

I'm eating left over Chinese food and I have another take-out container in my fridge - I won't starve.

Until you void it from your system, due to dropping sanity levels!

I just got the DLC gifted to me, woohoo!

Back