Don't Sleep on Old Games, New Life in 4K/Ultra-Wide

cybereality

[H]F Junkie
So, I've revived my Nvidia Surround rig in preparation for Turing. Decided to try some old games, that can run in 7680 x 1440 144Hz. Tested with Half-Life 2 and now I'm playing F.E.A.R. Really nice to see these older games with full max settings, 7680 x 1440 and over 200fps (great on my 144Hz G-Sync monitors). While they are dated in some ways, it breathes new life into them playing at much higher resolutions than when they came out. Also played Mirror's Edge recently in 4K max and it looked amazing.

I know everyone is trying to play the new hotness, but don't sleep on older games. We can finally run them at max settings with 4K/Ultra-Wide, it's worth going back and replaying some old favorites or games you missed. Lots of great gems still around, and you can actually reach high-refresh and high-res with current graphics cards.

Think I might try to run through all the Deus Ex games from the beginning. Any old games you want to revisit?

Replay VTMB. Wound up reinstalling it and playing through twice back to back. The game may not have best graphics but hot damn does it have some of the best atmosphere and characters in any game. Besides that, the original Dishonored pretty good in 4K.

So, I've revived my Nvidia Surround rig in preparation for Turing. Decided to try some old games, that can run in 7680 x 1440 144Hz. Tested with Half-Life 2 and now I'm playing F.E.A.R. Really nice to see these older games with full max settings, 7680 x 1440 and over 200fps (great on my 144Hz G-Sync monitors). While they are dated in some ways, it breathes new life into them playing at much higher resolutions than when they came out. Also played Mirror's Edge recently in 4K max and it looked amazing.

I know everyone is trying to play the new hotness, but don't sleep on older games. We can finally run them at max settings with 4K/Ultra-Wide, it's worth going back and replaying some old favorites or games you missed. Lots of great gems still around, and you can actually reach high-refresh and high-res with current graphics cards.

Think I might try to run through all the Deus Ex games from the beginning. Any old games you want to revisit?
Trust me i love doing this. I wanna get gta4 working in w10 but it's a pita

I haven't had any problems with GTA IV on Windows 10. I have had problems where it only reports 2GB of VRAM, but I usually set it to 4GB. It runs fine at 4k. All these old games are great on a 4k monitor. I just replayed Crysis and Crysis: Warhead at 4k. Some textures looked iffy, but the games ran great maxed out.

Trust me i love doing this. I wanna get gta4 working in w10 but it's a pita
Yeah, I hear this. I couldn't get Mirror's Edge to run in Surround or 3D. Not sure why, it did work many years ago but no dice now (pun intended).

All these old games are great on a 4k monitor. I just replayed Crysis and Crysis: Warhead at 4k. Some textures looked iffy, but the games ran great maxed out.
Was there any trick to get Crysis to run? I think it might be a Crossfire issue, I get really bad performance and crashing when trying in 4K.

Was there any trick to get Crysis to run? I think it might be a Crossfire issue, I get really bad performance and crashing when trying in 4K.

It worked fine through Steam. My GPU usage always reads at 100% even at 1080p and my framerate is capped at 60 which is fine for 4k.

I should have turned off my second display to fix this, but I was too lazy.

I was also getting strange artifacting on a couple levels at long distances.

The game has not aged well now that I think on it...

Wasn't there a mod someone was working on for the original KOTOR. I saw it earlier this summer and it looked amazing.

I haven't had any problems with GTA IV on Windows 10. I have had problems where it only reports 2GB of VRAM, but I usually set it to 4GB. It runs fine at 4k. All these old games are great on a 4k monitor. I just replayed Crysis and Crysis: Warhead at 4k. Some textures looked iffy, but the games ran great maxed out.

You might take a look around I'm pretty sure a few HD texture packs have been released for the original crysis.

At the risk of beating a dead horse to... death? G-SYNC does not function above the refresh rate of the monitor! Frame limit to take advantage of your hardware! :)
Not a dead horse. This stuff can be confusing at times. In this case (with F.E.A.R.), I was getting well over 144fps, so I safely enabled V-Sync without issue (which means G-Sync wasn't doing anything since I was already at 144Hz locked).

Shantarr I read the Blur Buster article, thanks for the link. I was just concerned with screen-tearing, I didn't think about lag.

After doing the settings from the article (G-Sync + V-Sync On in Nvidia + V-Sync Off in game + 141 frame cap in RTSS) I think it's working well. Honestly it was super smooth before, so I don't notice a huge difference, but nice to know it's set up correctly now.

Well after many years of no gaming I played Tomb Raider (2013) and playing Bioshock as well as Rise of the Tomb Raider and looking forward to get in to the Witcher series.

Back