Don't know where to put this... momentary stutter when using new laptop. Lenovo Y720.

zamardii12

2[H]4U
Hey everyone, I am at work so I can't post the specific error code; all I remember is that it is a DCOM error of some kind.

So anyway, what is happening is that almost every 5 minutes there is a momentary stutter with the laptop. The only way I can describe this is that I could be watching a video on my laptop, or clicking somewhere in the OS, and everything freezes for a fraction of a second and then resumes. I have tried multiple suggestions online including changing permission to keys in REGEDIT to updating BIOS and drivers for everything.

When I get home i'll post the error code in Event Viewer, but I can't but wonder if maybe it has something to do with the switchable graphics since my laptop has a GTX 1060 and the Intel Graphics. I noticed yesterday when I loaded up Metro Last Light on it that it was performing terribly at all resolutions and settings so I looked in Nvidia Control Panel and noticed that the Intel graphics were set to run with that game which is strange b/c I never selected that manually and usually is set to automatically switch I am assuming.

In any case, if anyone has any ideas in the meantime i'd appreciate the insight.

TL,DR: My laptop freezes for a fraction of a second and not sure what is causing it no matter what I am doing about every 5 minutes.

Sounds like it could be related to the os disk. Is the hdd activity light doing anything during the freeze?

My guess is: (My laptop seems to do the same)

Problem with the current Intel driver, and affects a whole bunch of other non Lenovo laptops.

If you install one of the earlier intel drivers from the Lenovo site, you probably won't have this problem. Also, setting your laptop to using only the discrete graphics will fix the issue.

Back