Don't Forget to Say "You're Welcome"

Because no one ever thought that competition makes things better. But I'm starting to think that these kinds of articles are, well, maybe not organic?

The latest usage stats show that something like 105 percent of all desktop computer users run Windows, while -4 percent run Mac OS and 0.0002 percent run Linux. Or something like that — with a majority of the world’s handheld devices running the Linux-derived Android OS, and a majority of the world’s servers, along with virtually all of its supercomputers, running Linux.

How many time have I heard this argument. Especially the "Android is Linux" BS. If Android were Linux then all Android apps should just run on Linux natively. Wow. They don't. Gee, a kernel isn't a whole OS. Because that's like the definition or kernel.

Because no one ever thought that competition makes things better. But I'm starting to think that these kinds of articles are, well, maybe not organic?

How many time have I heard this argument. Especially the "Android is Linux" BS. If Android were Linux then all Android apps should just run on Linux natively. Wow. They don't. Gee, a kernel isn't a whole OS. Because that's like the definition or kernel.
Yo! I'ma let you finish, but Netware was the best file server EVAR!

(sorry, you were just the previous post. :D )

I love some linux propaganda, but this one gets a bit much with the span of history and markets it's framing. Linux servers won out by being an effective alternative to traditional Unix system workoads, and having a solid webserver when the web was new. On the desktop, the most attention getting action by an outside entity that caused a security push (IMO) was probably Apple's "I'm a Mac. I'm a PC." marketing campaign. It just shined a spotlight on public memory of Win3.1 -> XP.

I couldn't agree more with the linked article, although the usage statistics are a little off.

However we already had a thread where I was attempting to highlight how Linux improves Windows, certain Windows fanatics thought the mere notion was complete BS and once again did their best to bury the thread with crap.

There's no arguing that competition creates improvement not to mention fairer pricing, and up until the advent of XP (perhaps Windows 2000) Windows was complete garbage.

Re-read that. It says Android is "Linux derived", not "Android is Linux". That's a true statement, just like Linux and OSX were Unix derived.

Re-read that. It says Android is "Linux derived", not "Android is Linux". That's a true statement, just like Linux and OSX were Unix derived.

True and credit to the author here. But how many times will Linux fans say "Android is Linux" and that's just a load of nonsense.

He has a filter that only allows him to comprehend in a way that only supports his own argument.

True and credit to the author here. But how many times will Linux fans say "Android is Linux" and that's just a load of nonsense.

[Sigh]

Android uses the Linux kernel, you can even see the version of the Kernel used under Settings > About Device. The difference is that Android doesn't include certain Libraries included in desktop Linux and doesn't use X Server, Android prefers to run software in a Dalvik virtual machine.

This by no means implies that Android is not substantially based on Linux.

Android uses the Linux kernel, you can even see the version of the Kernel used under Settings > About Device. The difference is that Android doesn't include certain Libraries included in desktop Linux and doesn't use X Server, Android prefers to run software in a Dalvik virtual machine.

Kind of what makes Android and Linux software incompatible?

That ridiculous article said:
There was a time when a computer operating system called Windows totally dominated the market, and it sucked.

Sorry, Windows remains the dominant personal computer operating system and that's not going to change anytime, forget "soon." :D

>not sure if article was meant to be an April's Fools kinda thing and just got posted months early or something...

Sorry, Windows remains the dominant personal computer operating system and that's not going to change anytime, forget "soon." :D

>not sure if article was meant to be an April's Fools kinda thing and just got posted months early or something...

Yeah, I give it about another ten years....

...Perhaps that's why it's called Windows 10. :)

Last edited:

Hm, not sure on this. You can pretty much consider phone & tablets "persona computers" linux has pretty much won already.

Hm, not sure on this. You can pretty much consider phone & tablets "persona computers" linux has pretty much won already.

So the same devices that are sucking up all that data have won, because Android is Linux, except that it's not, not from a UI or app perspective, but Windows 10 sux because it collects data but desktop Linux doesn't. Because Android is Linux and does?

So the same devices that are sucking up all that data have won, because Android is Linux, except that it's not, not from a UI or app perspective, but Windows 10 sux because it collects data but desktop Linux doesn't. Because Android is Linux and does?

Gawd, you're getting desperate now?!

First of all Android isn't Linux and I highlight how Android is substantially based on Linux. Now Android is Linux and because of that Linux collects a users private information!

They're two completely different platforms! Even iOS shares little with OSX. The only way you can lump mobile platforms into the same category as desktop platforms is if you're talking about Windows, as under x64 the OS is identical on both platforms, desktop Windows 10 collects a users data just as much as a mobile platform running Windows 10 does! But we all know that desktop Linux most defiantly does not collect user data at all, while Google does!

And you still can't comprehend just how Android is based on Linux! Linux in itself is a kernel, desktop Linux is technically speaking GNU/Linux running X Server as the graphical display manager - We simplify this to Linux as only neckbeards like to use the term GNU/Linux as they're odd. In the same sense Android uses the Linux kernel, but it doesn't run X server, therefore software is not directly compatible between platforms unless you adopt some form of X server under Android - Which can be done, but is largely pointless.

C'mon Heatlesssun, this is getting tiring. Your inability to accept logical points of discussion is getting old really quick. You try to bury every thread or posting that portrays Linux in a positive light yet despite your claims of using Linux servers or VM's running Linux, it's obvious you actually know very little about the operation or even usage of the operating system in question.

Your bias is so amazingly prevalent that I honestly believe you work for MS themselves as opposed to any career in the banking industry.

Last edited:
Linux people have been saying that since the damn 90's. I'm still waiting....

What? We've been giving Windows another 10 years since the 90's? I don't think so.

I think you're confusing that with the line "the year of the Linux desktop", which in my case came ~three years ago and just keeps getting better.

What? We've been giving Windows another 10 years since the 90's? I don't think so.

I think you're confusing that with the line "the year of the Linux desktop", which in my case came ~three years ago and just keeps getting better.

I switched my grandfather to linux 6 years ago, a little later my parents and around 4 years ago I migrated my wifes parents also to linux. I got tired of cleaning malware every summer when we travel to Greece where they live. After that it's much more pleasant just doing minor upgrades.

I switched my grandfather to linux 6 years ago, a little later my parents and around 4 years ago I migrated my wifes parents also to linux. I got tired of cleaning malware every summer when we travel to Greece where they live. After that it's much more pleasant just doing minor upgrades.

Similar stories here my friend. :)

First of all Android isn't Linux and I highlight how Android is substantially based on Linux. Now Android is Linux and because of that Linux collects a users private information!

I just think it's silly to compare Android to Linux. Yes, they share a kernel but not much else especially in real world use.

I just think it's silly to compare Android to Linux. Yes, they share a kernel but not much else especially in real world use.

Rubbish, this just highlights an arrogant lack of knowledge!

There's a great many appliances based around Linux that cannot run applications based around GNU Linux, hell, many don't even have a GUI or terminal unless you somehow SSH into them! That doesn't in any way mean they aren't based on Linux.

Back