• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Don't feel like digging...

jester1176

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 26, 2002
Messages
1,553
What are my best options to significantly improve upon the graphics performance of my machine without breaking the bank?

Currently using the following config:

9600 Phenom
4GB RAM
Nvidia 8800GTS

I'm not dedicated to one camp. And I play using a 1680X1050 resolution.

Thanks.
 
which 8800gts and how much money do you have? my 4850 maxes everything out (cept crysis) at that resolution with 2gb ram and a e2200
 
is your GTS a 640mb or 512mb? if its the 512mb, i would just overclock it and save your money for now.
 
What are my best options to significantly improve upon the graphics performance of my machine without breaking the bank?

Currently using the following config:

9600 Phenom
4GB RAM
Nvidia 8800GTS

I'm not dedicated to one camp. And I play using a 1680X1050 resolution.

Thanks.

If you're really intent on upgrading then the 4850 seems to be the way to go without braking the bank. For it being $199 most places (some have it much cheaper) and the kind of performance it gives it's a hell of a deal. The 4870 is also a great upgrade and is not too much more but may not be for you if you really aren't going to game too much or if $300 just isn't in the budget.
 
I have an 8800gts g92 overclocked well past 9800gtx speeds. I tried out a 4850 and ended up returning it. The gains I saw were imperceptible in the games I play. To be fair, I could have probably overclocked it and taken it way further, but losing a bit on the deal wouldn't have been worth it. I also game at 1680x1050 so there goes that.
 
Back
Top