Don't Buy a New Computer Until 2006 *thought*

laxmiddi44

Gawd
From everything i read about Windows Vista, basically i got that i shouldn't buy a new computer until Vista is released, because they will have DX10 GFX cards, and everything will just be a lot different. So basically i find it pointless to buy a DX9 GFX card and then in 1 year you won't even be able to use vista to the fullest. (just a thought)

With the "Wait because something bigger/better is coming" mindset, it would be easy to say NEVER buy anything, because there is always something bigger and better is coming. Get what you want, when you want it. No regrets.

Easy fix: buy what you want now and use XP, unless you are dying to get Vista on day one and use it 110%. That's what I am doing.

azzkikur said:
With the "Wait because something bigger/better is coming" mindset, it would be easy to say NEVER buy anything, because there is always something bigger and better is coming. Get what you want, when you want it. No regrets.

Totally agree. Technology mvoes so fast now and days theres no way to always keep up. You can always sell and upgrade in the future :)

Yes, but if you don't have an immediate need or strong desire, your money will get you more the longer you wait. Particularly with a new OS on the horizon, if you are someone who buys, and then uses for a few years, I'd hang on until at least a month or two into the release.

This doesn't really apply to those of us who upgrade like mad though. :D

Vertigo Acid said:
3-month upgrade cycle and lovin it :D

aren't pentium upgrading every 6 months? hehe :D

I understand they have to built a new building everytime a new chip comes out, to cope with demand..

couldn't you just install DX10 on XP...then you could use a DX10 graphics card?? just a thought

Fark_Maniac said:
couldn't you just install DX10 on XP...then you could use a DX10 graphics card?? just a thought

Exactly!! But will it be available for Windows XP. It should be. However, DirectX 9 should NOT have supported POS Windows 98/ME. Direct X 9 should have been Windows 2000/XP/2003 only when it was released over 2 years ago!!!

I am not going to use Vista when it comes out. There will be issues the first 6 months or so just as when XP came out. In addition I have strong feelings about the new digital rights managment in vista.

John Gault said:
In addition I have strong feelings about the new digital rights managment in vista.

Betcha it gets broken WELL before those six months are up.

Actually from what I've read the scope is rather limited to start with.

I too am going to hold off on vista. I am curious to see how DRM has an impact on a user. :p

John Gault said:
I am not going to use Vista when it comes out. There will be issues the first 6 months or so just as when XP came out. In addition I have strong feelings about the new digital rights managment in vista.
Actually, i started using windows xp the week it was released and I never had a serious issue with the OS. and the drm won't last a week. it never does.

ashmedai said:
Betcha it gets broken WELL before those six months are up.

Actually from what I've read the scope is rather limited to start with.
That would be a miracle, DRM itself may not exist in the OS but I bet some type of technology related to it will.

DaRkF0g said:
I too am going to hold off on vista. I am curious to see how DRM has an impact on a user. :p

If I was MS, I'd deliberately cut its nuts off...leave it in as a nod to the corporate customers that want it in, neuter it or keep it extremely limited so as not to interfere with Vista's useability.

From what I know it has to be deliberately enabled on a file/document/whatever anyway, so I doubt it's going to be more than a nusiance if some feature happy wahoo enables it on a document that is being passed around for editing/comments. Oh wait...Office 2003 already had that going on, and it didn't really cause any problems. So did WMP 10 (if not earlier?) and no real problems there either.

DaRkF0g said:
That would be a miracle, DRM itself may not exist in the OS but I bet some type of technology related to it will.

Name one DRM technology that's not had its ass circumvented within an extremely short time of hitting the wild. It gets broken quickly or it interferes with normal use to the extent that the company using it rapidly thinks better of it.

ashmedai said:
If I was MS, I'd deliberately cut its nuts off...leave it in as a nod to the corporate customers that want it in, neuter it or keep it extremely limited so as not to interfere with Vista's useability.

From what I know it has to be deliberately enabled on a file/document/whatever anyway, so I doubt it's going to be more than a nusiance if some feature happy wahoo enables it on a document that is being passed around for editing/comments. Oh wait...Office 2003 already had that going on, and it didn't really cause any problems. So did WMP 10 (if not earlier?) and no real problems there either.
yea i doubt itll cause problems...but even if it does itll be cracked

Well look at WGA...the second they announce they're going to force authentication for any non-critical updates, one guy cracks the authentication codes and another guy finds a browser workaround within like a day of it going live.

ashmedai said:
Well look at WGA...the second they announce they're going to force authentication for any non-critical updates, one guy cracks the authentication codes and another guy finds a browser workaround within like a day of it going live.
i know thats shit was effing classic...but ive had a work around the authentication codes for months now...its called windows xp pro "corporate edition" not only does it not require that stupid register number when you install but it passes the stupid wga thing too...but i dont actually use it anymore now that i have an actual oem copy

Don't corporate keys make up about 90% of the black copies floating around? Not that they can do much about THAT without royally pissing off their biggest customers.

Raaben said:
Easy fix: buy what you want now and use XP, unless you are dying to get Vista on day one and use it 110%. That's what I am doing.

I concur.

Unless a program that I must use is Vista only...I will be on XP for the next 4 years.

Thats why I am going to wait till Windows Vista comes to buy a top of the line computer. :cool:

Back