Domain Registration + Website

nitrobass24

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2009
My dad wants me to setup a website for his business.

I have been looking around, and was thinking of registering the domain with either GoDaddy or Network Solutions.

Is there a reason that I should go with one over the other? GoDaddy is cheaper but im not really sure why?

Also I want to get a basic website designed for him, and we want to have someone do it for us.
I was poking around on eLance, but im not sure how comfortable I am with doing that.
Anywhere I should look to find someone for this that wont cost a lot?
Should I just put up a craigslist ad?

network solution was just on the news for losing personal information. So i'm not sure how much i would trust them.

People have recommended godaddy in the past and heard good things about them. (never used them)

We use godaddy @ work for about 50+ domains with no issues. Just have to ignore all the upselling at checkout time but I really dont mind. its not hard to click the No Thanks links.

I've used GoDaddy for registration. Don't see a problem with them hosting either.

I have used godaddy in the past and was pleased.

The only downside is all the upsell crap that you have to click through, but you do it once per domain and thats it.

Godaddy is the registrar I typically recommend. Dreamhost is the host I typically recommend. Always keep those two separate - never register your domain through the same company hosting it if you can help it. That said, you might want to ask over in the Webmaster and Programming section of the forum about web design and such. :)

+1 for Godaddy domains, its something they actually do well. +2 for keeping your domain separate from your host, usually not a bad idea and good common practice. Protects you so you can up and leave easier, should you so choose to.

I've been using Dreamhost for years. Personally, my experience has been fine esp. considering the price. But I don't think I'd recommend them in the future. Other businesses sites/email that I have hosted there doesn't have the best record. For what it's worth.

Ok well sounds like GoDaddy is what I am going to do.

And I think I will prob just host it ourselves.
We have a SBS2003 running in the office and only thing it does is everything: AD, DNS, DHCP, Exchange, TS Gateway, File Server.
But its only for an office of 5 people so it doesnt get abused too bad.

I think it could handle a small website as well.

Thanks for the input guys.

Ok well I will have to read that tonight.

I guess I could isolate it in a VM if its just for security concerns.
If its for performance, its not that important. At least not important enough to justify that kind of expense.

Unless you want to make that SBS machine into a pin cushion for every script-kiddie out there to poke at and potentially compromise business data, I'd recommend against hosting it yourself. If the business is really as small as you say it is there are plenty of shared hosting providers that can host the site for $60-100 a year. Hosting your own site may also be against your ISP's AUP or TOS - depending on what you have. Just things to be aware of.

Never had an issue with GoDaddy, the constant upsells kinda suck, but are easy to ignore and you dont really have to spend much time on their site if you host somewhere else.

I have quite a few domains with them and have had them there for years without issue.

I use LunarPages for my hosting and NameCheap for my domain. I have had no problems and no downtime with neither. Setup and activation was fast as well. For $4.99 a month I get a free domain name from them (I have two, since I'm using NameCheap as well), unlimited bandwidth, unlimited storage, 99.9% uptime. I highly recommend them.

Back