Domain name / namserver / basic question

Rurik

Supreme [H]ardness
While good with networking, I've always been weak on name servers and their role in making new domain names.

My company is looking to get a .EDU domain name, but the .EDU registrars do not have internal name servers. We don't have any locally. So, I would assume then that we would have to find some company to pay monthly to get an authoritative name server just for our domain name?

We have a web server, hosted at a remote co-loc by IP. We also have a Verizon business DSL for one of our internal networks here; a coworker suggested we could have Verizon do it for us?

You can host it yourself (Not really advised)

Or you can have your ISP host it (Assuming you have a business class service)

I prefer external DNS hosting to Verizon - your turn around time with a web control panel is much faster than the request process for DNS changes through verizon (I speak from direct experience).

Here are some recommendations:
ultradns (ultra expensive)
dyndns (I went with them, zero problems so far)
dnsmadeeasy
zoneedit

Well, this will be an extremely low-maintenance setup. We have a static IP for the server, so it's a set-it and forget-it type deal. Having Verizon do it for free is a big plus

Check with the Company you are doing colo with. Usually they will host DNS for servers on their network.

I'm starting to turn towards the free services, like EveryDNS. Thanks for the suggestion.

We could use our ISP, but we would have to run through multiple chains of command here, with justification at each stage, just to put a request in to evaluate the process, let alone do it.

I've gathered a small list of free DNS services, which I assume could be combined as primary / secondary / tertiary in case one goes down:

EveryDNS.com
ZoneEdit.com
Afraid.org

I've tried ZoneEdit before and personally I really dislike their web interface. EveryDNS is pretty top notch in my book, they also have many different features, such as the ability to automatically update your ip address if you have a dynamic one.

I use PDNS for our customers, and we're using UltraDNS for our company's stuff. they're both pretty good. Using PDNS for their API, since my company is kind of in the web hosting busines (not really, but it's an element of what we do)

Back