domain issues with wireless

elbarto

Limp Gawd
Hello,
Quick question... I have a server running windows 2k3 and everything was working fine with all the computers in the network that were wired in (ie we were all able to get on the domain and access files stored on the server) now I just added a wireless access point to the network. Heres the problem, all the wireless clients can get on the domain with their user accounts and all but they cannot access the files even though permissions have been granted for their user accounts on the server.
I'm thinking it may be something to do with the wireless subdomains and such. I have the server set up at 192.168.0.1 and the wireless access point is 192.168.2.254 Im not sure but will this cause the problem even though the wireless clients are recieving IP's from the server?

big mistake... your subnets are off....

Make your wireless AP 192.168.0.255 and make sure DHCP is turned OFF in the router, and I can almost garuntee your problems will be solved.

QJ

P.S. Let me clarify what I mean....when you use a subnet of 255.255.255.0(which you are using) your FIRST THREE sets of digits HAVE TO BE THE SAME.

If you have a subnet of 255.0.0.0 only the FIRST set of digits have to be the same. If you catch my drift....

Here at work we use 255.0.0.0

ANYTHING from 10.0.0.1 all the way to 10.255.255.255 will work.

wait a min... 192.168.0.255? I thought the limit was 254?
and just so you know its not a router its just an access point cause routers dont seem to work at all

Sorry... I meant 254

And whether it's an AP or Router... it makes no difference, if you are just using it as an AP...

Try it and tell me what happens.

QJ

elbarto said:
....and just so you know its not a router its just an access point cause routers dont seem to work at all

Probably because you are leaving DHCP enabled on the router.... AP/Router.... they can BOTH be used for wireless access to your network.

QJ

sorry I didn't want to be rude or anything...
anyways I tried it out with the server at 192.168.0.1 and the AP at 192.168.0.254 and it still wont work. I can join the domain and see the folders that are shared on the server but it will not let me into them. All of my wired computers work fine though. This is messing with my mind because I dont understand why its not working. Is there something I need to do with the DHCP part of the server to let it know theres an AP? I thought the AP would act just like the wired hub/switch that I'm using.
Thanks for your input though it is much appreciated

Domain logins cache in XP so you might not actually be logging onto the DC. Sort of the same thing with objects in network places if that's what your using.

Use Ping to test connectivity and if you want to test resources, UNC path to hit your shares.

Sounds like you have a DNS issue with your domain controller.

Could be you don't have a reverse lookup zone configured. In DNS on your server right-click reverse lookup zone - select New Zone. Make sure it and the rest of your DNS is active directory integrated and in the network address enter the first three octets of your subnet - 192.168.0, then next and finish.

Now flush and register the dns on a wireless client. Next open a command promp and do an nslookup. Nslookup won't work without correctly configured a reverse lookup zone on the dns server.

The reverse lookup zone maps an ip address to a name. When you type in nslookup on your machine it looks to the ip address that you have for the dns server - which is set in tcp/ip - sends off the request to the server but it can't come back with your server name because there's no reverse zone - hence no mapping for it. Without that lookup zone you can get an issue with authentication for mapped drives, or exchange email. Give it a shot.

what i've noticed happens when ur logging on to a domain with a wireless connection is that you can only do it with cached accounts. because wireless connections dont usually connect until ur already logged into windows, there is no way to contact the domain to check your cridentials. try this. plug in the wire, and logon to the domain with ur cridentials. logoff, logon from a different computer and change ur pw. then go back to the wireless computer and u'll still be able to login with ur old pw and it wont detect the pw changes.

I kno some intel wireless chips have the option to connect to the wlan before logging on to the comp, so this might resolve the issue above.

If your using XP's zero config it's a service and yes, you can login to the domain with a wireless card as your network interface. Cached credentials are not nessa. WZC starts and should associate (If you have it setup correctly) before the netlogon and login screen.

Run IPCONFIG /ALL from a wireless client and post the results here. It definitely sounds DNS related.

Have the wireless computers joined the domain & logging into it? I assume so, but didn't see it mentioned. One question, does it take an excessive amount of for the wireless clients to restart & log on?

Best thing to do here is what stonecat says and post the ipconfig /all results from a wireless client & also from a wired PC that is working correctly. A comparison of the two should give some nice clues.

ktwebb said:
If your using XP's zero config it's a service and yes, you can login to the domain with a wireless card as your network interface. Cached credentials are not nessa. WZC starts and should associate (If you have it setup correctly) before the netlogon and login screen.

ktwebb is right...

The only time I have ever had a problem like this is when I machine has been sitting there 'idling' at the windows login screen for a few days, go to log back into the machine and BAM it will log you in, when you try to access the folder, it won't let you in.

Easiest way I have found is to ctrl-alt-del, change the password, and 90% of the time it will work. A FEW times I've had to restart a machine.

QJ

Back