Dolphin GPU for Wii

matt167

[H]ard|Gawd
My Fiancé likes Nintendo Wii. I just can’t spend $200 on one knowing Dolphin will run Wii nearly perfectly.

What is the minimum AMD GPU that will run Mario Kart Wii for instance? I’m wondering if the R7 450 4gb that I have ( 4gb DDR5 HD 7750 basically) in my Plex server will work. I’ll move the plex server to the entertainment center

Thanks for digging that review up. I didn’t even know there was a wiki. After reading that I’m pretty confident it will be fine.

I plan on getting a dolphin bar and getting Wii remote’s working. I regret getting rid of my Wii. GameStop gave me $20 for it ~ 10 years ago. I just wasn’t using it and didn’t care

since we're not supposed to discuss emulation, that^^^^(but it should be fine at native res at least)

I do have legitimate copies of the games, rather my fiancé does. I haven’t booted Dolphin up yet because I ended up having to reinstall windows due to a borked boot record and couldn’t recover it. I wonder if it can play off the disc?

I do have legitimate copies of the games, rather my fiancé does. I haven’t booted Dolphin up yet because I ended up having to reinstall windows due to a borked boot record and couldn’t recover it. I wonder if it can play off the disc?
No, you can't play from the disc. The Wii uses a proprietary file system, not standard DVD, and I believe the discs are read "backward" like the Gamecube.

No, you can't play from the disc. The Wii uses a proprietary file system, not standard DVD, and I believe the discs are read "backward" like the Gamecube.
Only a few brands of drives can read the discs too, and the op will need an "unscrambler" program.

Interesting, that stinks. But at least I do have legitimate copies

LG 8164b works per Google information.I might have one of them. If I do, I have a gold mine, if I don’t. No way am I paying $150 for a used one

Last edited:
Yeah I’ll have to. In the past when I’ve emulated ps1 and 2. I’ve played right off the disc. I’ve never actually had to ‘obtain’ Roms before. But Google will show the way

It's a grey area for sure. Contrats with, say, the PS2/PS3 where you can just pop disks into a proprietary drive and they *work*.
RPCS3 doesn't support playing from the disc, even if you have a Blu-ray drive that can read it. PS2 discs use a standard file format so almost every DVD drive can read them, and as such playing from the disc is supported by PCSX2. I've used four different DVD drives over the years and my current BD/HD-DVD drive, and all of them have had no issues with PS2 discs.

RPCS3 doesn't support playing from the disc, even if you have a Blu-ray drive that can read it. PS2 discs use a standard file format so almost every DVD drive can read them, and as such playing from the disc is supported by PCSX2. I've used four different DVD drives over the years and my current BD/HD-DVD drive, and all of them have had no issues with PS2 discs.
You can still make an ISO from a PS3 disk though. The point is the disk is readable by conventional drives, unlike GC/Wii discs which aren't.

Back