Dolphin Emulator coming to Steam

staknhalo

Supreme [H]ardness
Couldn't tell if it should go in PC Gaming or Console sub so I put it here instead lol

i wonder if big N is gonna let that slide.

I like how they can't say 'the N word'

7g65x9.jpg

Last edited:
Great news. I just put together everything needed to fully emulate a Wii with Dolphin… the only thing that sucks is a complete Wii from goodwill finds is $50 any day of the week

i wonder if big N is gonna let that slide.
They can't do anything about it. Reverse engineering isn't illegal, Dolphin includes no proprietary code, is distributed under the GPLv2+ license, and makes no money from its distribution. I'm pretty sure Nintendo have tried to fight legal battles against emulators in the past and have lost.
Hopefully ePSXe and PCSX2 follow suit 🤞
ePSXe is garbage these days. It hasn't been updated in 7 years. You should use Duckstation if you like enhancing the graphics, or the mednafen PSX core (libretro version is called Beetle) if you like having as close to an original experience as possible.

They can't do anything about it. Reverse engineering isn't illegal, Dolphin includes no proprietary code, is distributed under the GPLv2+ license, and makes no money from its distribution. I'm pretty sure Nintendo have tried to fight legal battles against emulators in the past and have lost.

ePSXe is garbage these days. It hasn't been updated in 7 years. You should use Duckstation if you like enhancing the graphics, or the mednafen PSX core (libretro version is called Beetle) if you like having as close to an original experience as possible.

Yeah I'm not so concerned with all that more than whatever works easy enough, ePSXe is just on my SHIELDs so what came to mind first - put 'em all on Steam 👍

If anything, I'd go with Xebra for console accuracy (I've wandered down the rabbit hole of 'what emulator do I really want to use' before), but it has its own set of 'I can't be bothered' things

They can sue them and drag them through the courts. Win or loose, just to make it hard for the them and potentially kill emulator that way. However in today's world... not sure Nintendo wants to turn players agianst them by doing it.

Hopefully ePSXe and PCSX2 follow suit 🤞
DuckStation is *way* better than ePSXe. Also revisited PCSX2 - it's come a long ways since the last time I used it about 8 or so years ago. Glad to see they finally fixed framebuffer and rendering errors in XGIII and Silent Hill 2/3

DuckStation is *way* better than ePSXe. Also revisited PCSX2 - it's come a long ways since the last time I used it about 8 or so years ago. Glad to see they finally fixed framebuffer and rendering errors in XGIII and Silent Hill 2/3
Yeah, Duckstation or Mednafen (if using a libretro core) are considered far superior to ePSXe these days.

PCSX2 has certainly gotten better in recent years; it finally got a major GUI update plus auto-updates, and major missing features (ethernet + PS2 HDD) are now working with built-in plugins. Still find more odd rendering bugs relative to Dolphin, but it's far improved from what it used to be.

I much prefer real hardware even if then Blackbeard has raided the treasure chest of games. Although I will concede things like flash cartridges and optical drive emulators can make it quite the costly setup too.

links still work, so I call BS

Not sure if he mentions it in the video, but the articles I'm seeing say the DMCA is specifically about the Steam release. Apparently Nintendo sent the notice to Valve and it does not effect the non-Valve release. Of course it's complete bullshit regardless as emulators are entirely legal, as long as they're not using proprietary code, but Nintendo doesn't care about that.

Not sure if he mentions it in the video, but the articles I'm seeing say the DMCA is specifically about the Steam release. Apparently Nintendo sent the notice to Valve and it does not effect the non-Valve release. Of course it's complete bullshit regardless as emulators are entirely legal, as long as they're not using proprietary code, but Nintendo doesn't care about that.
he does, he mentions all of that.

Oh no...you'll have to download it from their site! It's not like the program has an updater built into it, too. If that's too much trouble, you're probably going to struggle getting it work correctly anyway.

The problem seems to be the decryption keys in Dolphin seem to be hardcoded, which technically puts the entire project at risk for a DMCA takedown (depending how they were divined). There's a reason why CEMU makes you back them up from your own console, for instance.

Damn, Gabe's a fucking snitch

But also he won't let any illegalities threaten his precious (Steam), I get it
The worst that would happen would be that Valve does get issued a DMCA notice and Valve would respond by removing the emulator. That is as far as it would go. DMCA notices have been issued for content on Steam many times over the years.

Back