Dolby DTS

Elf_Boy

2[H]4U
Any cards out there that will decode it under win 7?

I know plenty will output via optical or whatever, I am looking for one I can use to play my TV's optical out though my computer.

Thanks,

*EB*

You want to send audio out of your TV and input it into your PC?

I think there was one varation of the creative x-fi that decoded dolby 5.1 from an external source, but nothing else does. I think it's a licensing issue with dolby. I think it's all pass through now.

I looked it up sometime ago because i wanted to run my xbox 360 through my 5.1 analog speakers. i found an alternative solution by mistake when i bought my tritton ax pro headset. it comes with a decoder box that also connects to my analog speaker. So the only thing i needed was a toslink switch. So now i get beatiful dolby digital 5.1 from my pc and 360 to either my headphones or analog speakers.

My Sondigo Inferno will do this with DTS or DD sent into it's optical input. I'm guessing any other CMI8788 (Oxygen HD) based card would be able to do the same. I think the Xonar DX, HT Omega Claro and Auzen X-Meridian all use this controller.

Most TVs don't send out Dolby Digital or DTS through the optical port, only 2 channel PCM.

Most TVs don't send out Dolby Digital or DTS through the optical port, only 2 channel PCM.

I don't think that's true. OTA HDTV signals have a Dolby Digital 5.1 track. Its a HDTV standard to output DD. You will not get DTS, though, because that's pretty much a BD/DVD thing.

Some HDTVs will only send Dolby Digital through the digital out from OTA sources, Stereo for everything else

Some HDTVs will pass DTS and Dolby Digital from HDMI sources through the digital out.

I found this out the hard way because I originally had a Philips 7403 52" 1080p set at my house hooked up to my surround sound, when I played a blu-ray that had a DTS track form my HTPC hooked to the TV via HDMI it would pass throug hthe TV digital out to my receiver and work. But since I was at my fiances most of the time I decided to bring the TV over there along with the surround setup (we love to watch movies). Well the times I was at my house I missed my HT setup so I slowly started putting together another setup and scored a Mitsubishi 65" DLP for free (had some problems I fixed, didnt need pars, heatsink on main video chip was missing???) well when I hooked up the HTPC to this set... I couldnt get anything but stereo to pass through form my HTPC.... not even DolbyDigital!! I tried everything and thought I was going crazy so I brought my bedroom 40" samsung down hooked it up and it still did the same thing..... drove me nuts. I finally did some research and asked on AVS forum and found out that info :(

Now I have my HTPC hooked up throug hthe 6 Channel analog out to my receiver. I got a hold of another HDTV I know would work here recently and it passes DTS and Dolby Digital no problems.... Oh well

Back