• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Doing a DIY laptop. Looking for barebones recommendations

dep01

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 24, 2001
Messages
175
Hello. I've been out of the hardware game for a while, especially once I got in to development, software became my game and hardware fell by the wayside, though I still know plenty to be dangerous.

I have a laptop here that has bit the dust, so I'm in the market to build my own. What I'm looking for is a cheap "base system" that I can modify. Something barebones. Does anyone have any recommendations? Would be nice if I could spend under $500.

Thanks!
dep
 
I think most of the DIY laptops have gone the way of the dodo. For $500 you're probably best off with a pre-built deal.


That said here is a few of them: http://directron.com/nbbarebone.html

I am looking at the OCZ version. I have built one other barbones and it came out really well. didn't use it much so I ended up selling it. Thinking about going at it again. The hardest part is getting the correct parts. I am sitting here w/ a CPU I couldn't use as well as a network card. They were both pretty cheap so ot wasn't a big deal, just time wasted and a few bucks but I probably saved 300 by going with a barebones. You will get a better Laptop than what you could buy completed, but theres more risk and little to no warranty.
 
This is very interesting. Im thinking about doing this myself. How satisfied with yours are you?
 
I think a DIY laptop is a bad ideal. With as cheap as they are now you can buy a completed laptop for little more then the bare-bones unit itself cost. I just priced out the OCZ newegg carry's with the 9600 GT video & it came to 863 with 2gb memory a p8400 & a 250gb WD. Where as 800 gets you an Acer with a comparable 17" screen, Mobility Radeon 5650, 4gb ram & a500gb HDD. Oh & a Core i5 430m.. The wireless N, DDR3, & LED backlit screen are just bonus's. Also The OCZ didn't have an optical drive for that price either.

I just don't think it can be dome with new parts for the same cost. Much less cheaper..
 
Yeah, since the laptops have come down in prices the DIY laptop build has pretty much died out. Not that it ever had much of a presence to begin with. ASUS for example has one of the most powerful 15" gaming laptops out to date and the price is pretty reasonable considering how much power is packed into it. The DIY laptop builds now are just for someone who wants to do it for themselves and for the fun of it. Cost effective wise it just isn't worth it anymore. :)

For those that want to tackle such a DIY project I'd suggest looking into the Clevo models since they pretty much make them for a bunch of different companies. Sager being one of the better known. :)
 
Back
Top