dog chewed on io shield, help!

Jason

Limp Gawd
i suppose i deserve this for leaving the door open to the room where i was putting together my build, but anyway, my dog managed to get hold of my io shield and she gnawed on it pretty good. it still fits into my case and over the connectors on my mobo, but it looks god awful.

i'm trying to figure out where to buy a replacement io shield. my mobo is a gigabyte ga-p55-ud4p. i went to gigabyte's website, and they do have various io shields listed, but the pics of them are so small that i can't tell which one is the one i need. plus, i'm not sure how to go about ordering one.

can anyone help me out? this new build is so pretty as long as you don't look at the back of it!

I'm not sure how bad the I/O looks but, if it's not torn and just all dented, I would smooth it out as best I can and just reuse it.

that's the problem. she actually tore it. specifically, she tore it up pretty bad around one of the ethernet jacks. this isn't a huge deal because i don't have use for the 2nd jack, however there are some other minor tears and i guess i'm just a little worried about slicing fingers or cables. plus, i've got a touch of ocd and the poor aesthetic is just killin' me.

if you call them up and tell them the board you have they'll probably send a new one (possibly for a small charge). if you can't reuse it or don't want to wait/pay and if you're creative, you could probably replicate it with some cardboard paper and a razor blade, add some electrical tape or duct tape for looks and there ya go (or may be even some sheet metal, pliers, a vice/vicegrip and a dremmel tool if you're up to it).

i'm not crafty enough to come up with something that looks as good as the shield that came with the mobo. sure wish i was!

the shield that came with the mobo is all color matched to the various jacks and there are little picture labels and it just looks way nicer than anything i could ever pull off.

i figured my best course of action would be to just call gigabyte customer service, but i thought i'd ask here on the off chance that someone knew of an online vendor that sold them.

I did a quick google search and all I could see for aftermarket parts were either just mirror finished or had some goofy graphics, I think they were mostly custom too (google image search, lol), in any case, I don't think an aftermarket replacement would have what you're looking for in terms of labeling, they all seem to be for aesthetics.

is the dog ok?

that said, personally I haven't used an I/O shield in probably five years, I'd probably remove the thing entirely and just forget about it if its going to cut you/your stuff as-is

contact the manufacturer for a replacement, or just move on, if the case came with a shield, it might be somewhat compatible (they generally aren't, but who knows)

As long as nobody rips cables out of the back of your PC, its fine to run without the shield.
I've done so many a time when putting together machines from old bits and not had one report of a problem.

Yah, Gigabyte should send out a replacement for a shipping fee, IIRC. Got an MSI open box board from the egg once, came with nothing. Called MSI and they asked if I needed just that part, or all the accessories, so I asked for the prices; they wanted $8 for the shield alone and $10 for the entire accessory pack (cd/manual/sli-bridge/shield/cables/etc); needless to say, I grabbed the whole accessory pack instead of just the shield, lol.

who needs an i/o shield?

People with ocd, which I think everyone has a bit of anyhow, lol. When I was a cheaper bastard, I wouldn't care for such things. But now I can afford to care a tiny bit if the price is right, lol.

finally found the time to get in touch with gigabyte customer service. nine bucks and i have a replacement i/o shield on the way. three bucks for the shield and six bucks shipping. six bucks to ship something that can't possibly weigh more than a few ounces!

at least the OCD monster in me will be satisfied. :)

Back