Doesn't Look Good for SED!

travbomb

Gawd
According to yesterdays digitimes Toshiba has scratched plans to show their 55 inch SED at CES the second week of January.

ALthough I am a regular nay sayer of SED and truly believe it wont exist anytime soon I was looking forward to finally seeing one these in person. If by chance they do have it at CES I will get some pics and video for everyone.

I don't know why you would be a naysayer, its not like they havent successfully shown the tech repeatedly before, just not at that size. Granted theres probably some issue with getting that size to work at the moment, but I still believe the tech is coming.

I'm not holding my breath for any of the new technologies to take over any time soon. if I get tired of my 720p plasma in the next couple of years and want to upgrade I fully expect to get either another plasma, or lcd/dlp. It's not that I don't think that new technologies will be released eventually...it's just that I think market saturation and affordability are too far away for me to worry about.

travbomb said:
According to yesterdays digitimes Toshiba has scratched plans to show their 55 inch SED at CES the second week of January.

ALthough I am a regular nay sayer of SED and truly believe it wont exist anytime soon I was looking forward to finally seeing one these in person. If by chance they do have it at CES I will get some pics and video for everyone.

so long as LCD continues to perform the way it does it looks VERY good for SED - tech poised to take over LCD's portion of the market once it is released and manufacturing enables reasonable pricing (say within 70% of LCD prices)

todays buyers can look at CRT, Plasma, and of course DLP - you can get a 61 inch DLP for 1800-2000 bucks from Samsung last I checked the deals forum (I believe it is 1080p too!)

Last year Canon and Toshiba used alot of space at CES showing off a 720p, smaller version of the SED technology. Canon displayed the SED monitor in a studio environment on the CES floor using the canon xl h1 camera and had sony crt broadcast monitors to compare the SED monitors with during live HD acquisition. Hate to say it but to my eyes, and the crew working the set, the Sony CRT broadcast monitor still was king of the hill. Of course 12 months latter as we all know, there is no SED product. This technology is slated for late 2007 in Japan; in the US sometime after that. Maybe CES 2008 Toshiba and Canon will again showcase the SED technology. I would not be surprised if there is some private showing by Canon of the SED technology at this year's CES but good luck getting to see it. With the advances in display technology coming down the line at ever decreasing prices we may never see this technology due the $100's million to create a fab for the panels.

interpolator said:
Last year Canon and Toshiba used alot of space at CES showing off a 720p, smaller version of the SED technology. Canon displayed the SED monitor in a studio environment on the CES floor using the canon xl h1 camera and had sony crt broadcast monitors to compare the SED monitors with during live HD acquisition. Hate to say it but to my eyes, and the crew working the set, the Sony CRT broadcast monitor still was king of the hill. Of course 12 months latter as we all know, there is no SED product. This technology is slated for late 2007 in Japan; in the US sometime after that. Maybe CES 2008 Toshiba and Canon will again showcase the SED technology. I would not be surprised if there is some private showing by Canon of the SED technology at this year's CES but good luck getting to see it. With the advances in display technology coming down the line at ever decreasing prices we may never see this technology due the $100's million to create a fab for the panels.
Naw, when people see the quality of these displays, they will definately buy them up. Plus, the money from the LCD market I'm sure is being used in the research and development of these new display technologies as the LCD market can't last forever because there will be other companies who will attempt to dominate the market with a better product first. Hence competition.

"While Toshiba America Electronic Components (TAEC) recently confirmed that the company will not showcase surface-conduction electron-emitter display (SED) panel at CES 2007, which will open in Las Vegas from January 8-11, a recent report from Reuters noted that SED, the joint venture of Canon and Toshiba, will not be able to launch their SED TV on time again due to a patent lawsuit between Canon and Nano Proprietary."

Naw, when people see the quality of these displays, they will definately buy them up.

I have heard this line for years. When people see it; it will be great. This is so much bluster. How many of these people have seen this technology or even have a clue what they are talking about. Well I have seen SED several times and it is not all it is cracked up to be. Canon and Toshiba are yet to publically show any display larger than 32 inches at a resolution higher than 1024 x 720. Maybe this technology has potential but not much has been shown yet. Hardly enough to place SED in the second coming of Christ category as so many posters seem to like to do.

I never thought SED would really make it to the consumer market anyway. Sure there may be a novelty model here or there but I've always had the mindset that the technology would be surpassed by something else before it could mature.

I remember a couple of years ago when people were excited about the development of OLED displays and how it would revolutionize the display market. Today OLED displays are used in some small devices like cellphones and MP3 players and that's about it, and I don't think that's going to last very long.

It's an interesting time for sure, things are changing and evolving so damn fast it's hard to keep up.

Initially SED was positioned as a mass market display without specialized models for niche markets. Several months ago I heard that Canon had switched directions and was approaching the pro market for their interest in applying this technology in their applications. It seems as if SED is casting about to find itself. As others have mentioned SED is a long way from the market place and the competitive technolgies continue to improve.

Back