Does your RAID array use more than one IDE drive/channel?

What is your IDE RAID Array configuration

• One IDE HD per channel, NOTHING else

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Two IDE HD's per channel

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • One IDE HD & Optical/ATAPI drive

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

caffiendo

n00b
I have been trying to figure out how to setup my server and am torn between running only one IDE HD per channel or two per channel. It seems that a lot of guides highly recommend only running one per channel. What do you run?

Please vote and reply if you will about what kind of array you are running 0, 1, 0+1, 5, etc.. Also if do you have any other drives (DVD/ATAPI) on the channel?

I ran two RAID1 arrays on two channels. It was a shitty card with shitty drives, but worked.

I ran a pair of IDE raid arrays with two drives each on two channels. So each IDE channel had half an array on it. Right now, though, I'm moving to all sata drives. Separate channels are now mandtory :D

drizzt81 & unhappy_mage, did you vote on the poll? Just wondering b/c it isn't posting if you did.

So you both ran 2 drives on each channel?

No, I did not, since I am no longer running that array.
What he said.

I only ran 2 drives per channel because I didn't have enough channels. I had a boot disk, an optical drive, and the 4 data disks on 4 IDE channels. That means sharing had to happen somewhere. Performance wasn't too bad, if I recall; probably 60 MB/s sequential transfers to either raid 1 array when the other one was idle. Could be better, obviously, but on a 66 mHz IDE bus that's not terrible.

I just started my first RAID array, and it is all SATA, so I am unable to vote.

I've ran a small cheap raid setup using two drives per channel years ago. It worked great. Probably not the most optimum setup, but when you are limited on space you don't have many other options :)

SATA RAID0, but I hear it's good to keep only one device per ATA channel if possible because otherwise the devices have to share the channel (which requires the storage controller to switch around access every time you need something from the other drive).

I've ran a small cheap raid setup using two drives per channel years ago. It worked great. Probably not the most optimum setup, but when you are limited on space you don't have many other options :)

I guess Galaxy 4.0 is a bit of a step up, huh? That's an amazing system. I'm planning on making a 1/10 scale model, lol:D

Back