Does your Quake 4 need permission to run on vista?

nippyjun

[H]ard|Gawd
For me Quake 4 always asks for permission on vista ultimate 32 bit. I have the 1.3 patch and i've set it to run as administrator. It's installed on a separate partition then Vista.

Yup had to run it as admin in order to connect to any servers.

I tried something different with Quake4 and it worked. I renamed the quake4.exe to nero.exe and it ran fine. Then i renamed it back to Quake4 and it needed permission. I renamed it back to nero again, then renamed it to Quake 4 (space between quake ane 4) and it no longer asked for permission. Also if i name it just quake it works as well.

So maybe a way around asking for permission for some programs to run is just to rename the .exe to another program that it recognized as safe by UAC?

I tried something different with Quake4 and it worked. I renamed the quake4.exe to nero.exe and it ran fine. Then i renamed it back to Quake4 and it needed permission. I renamed it back to nero again, then renamed it to Quake 4 (space between quake ane 4) and it no longer asked for permission. Also if i name it just quake it works as well.

So maybe a way around asking for permission for some programs to run is just to rename the .exe to another program that it recognized as safe by UAC?

Wow... That's actually kind of... ummm... crazy.

I'm having trouble with Quake 3 under Vista because of Punkbuster. I understand the concepts of Punkbuster and have used it in the past without issues, but dammit, it's really pissing me off these days preventing me from playing on my fave servers and they haven't done jack squat to address the problems. This isn't a Quake 4 issue, just thought I'd mention it.

Hell, this old P4 2.4/1GB/ATI 9550 might not even play Quake 4... might give the demo a shot and see Q4 at what, 5 fps? :p

I'm having trouble with Quake 3 under Vista because of Punkbuster. I understand the concepts of Punkbuster and have used it in the past without issues, but dammit, it's really pissing me off these days preventing me from playing on my fave servers and they haven't done jack squat to address the problems. This isn't a Quake 4 issue, just thought I'd mention it.

Hell, this old P4 2.4/1GB/ATI 9550 might not even play Quake 4... might give the demo a shot and see Q4 at what, 5 fps? :p

I had that same problem with Q4 that's why i had to run it as administrator, try running as admin it might help the PB issue.

Back