Does your digital camera shoot instantly?

ozzu

n00b
The last camara that I had that shoot instantly was a 35mm one. I worked with 3 digital cameras so far and all of them had a delay between pushing the button and actually taking the photo... the worst of them all was a HP that had a delay of about 1second... (try to take photos of an exact moment with that is impossible) the fuji had 0.2 sec and the sony is instant, but only when not using flash...

How is your camera on this subject?

I have a Canon A75. It has a lag, but you kinda get used to it. Or you can prefocus, and that will help you out. The only digital cameras that I know of that have no lag is the DSLR's

I've got a Kodak, and you need to hold the button halfway for a sec to set the exposure and focus.

*ist Ds and its as instant as 35mm, thats the main benefit of dSLR... well that and actually having some DOF.

--
Cheese

Almost no shutter lag here, but I use an SLR. It's big for action and quick moving subjects.

my D70 seems to shoot fast :p .With autofocus, between .1 and .5 seconds for the first shot and instantanious for the rest until it has to refocus. With manual focus, it the precise moment i press the shutter, it takes a pic, no delay whatsovever. It takes a wole .2 seconds to start up. I can't flip the switch and press the shutter button fast enough to tell that there is a delay.

I have a 10d from cannon and there is no lag. Then again it is a dSLR.

FlatLine84 said:
SLR is the way to go.

agree :D. I've been using my digital cam straight for a week, then switched back to my SLR. I was like, "whoa", no shutter lag. my digital lags like a mofo.

Panasonic's FZ series has very minimal lag, provided your prefocus first.

I love my FZ20!

o0moonman0o said:
dslr has almost no shutter lag
Whoa there. I think that's a bit too broad. In my limited experience, it does actually vary significantly from model to model. To make my own generalization, I'd say that shutter lag is inversely proportional to price. The top-end digital SLRs have substantially lower start-up times and shutter delays. While you can look this information up easily on a site like DPReview, it's unfortunately not something you can do a side-by-side on, I think.

My Kodak DX6490 has virtually zero lag providd it's been focused by pressing the button halfway...

My F75 doesn't lag! :p

and even with AF on the default lens, 0.4 I think to infinity and back is almost 1.2 seconds. fast AF on that lens.

Yeah, I tried taking some basic snapshots of my little sister's soccer games with her Canon Powershot S200 rather than my trusty (old.) 35mm Ricoh (old.) Kr-30SP and I found it impossible to take instant photos...I couldn't get any shots of action stuff. :eek:

My new Canon Rebel XT does not lag, it takes a pic when ever I want it too.....But then again it is a dslr....

Yeah, I tried taking some basic snapshots of my little sister's soccer games with her Canon Powershot S200 rather than my trusty (old.) 35mm Ricoh (old.) Kr-30SP and I found it impossible to take instant photos...I couldn't get any shots of action stuff
It doesnt have a burst mode? Mine will burst shots untill you fill the memory.

My Nikon 8700 has almost no start up time and shoots instantly, minus the autofocus.

With the camera off, turn it on and snap a photo. All in the time it takes to say Massachusetts......owned :D

Monkey34 said:
It doesnt have a burst mode? Mine will burst shots untill you fill the memory.
So you can get a burst of shots of what happened after what you wanted to capture? ;)

Burst mode doesn't solve lag problems. You can train yourself to start shooting early and not worry about the wasted space if it doesn't go as you expected, but it definitely takes some getting used to.

Rooster said:
My Nikon 8700 has almost no start up time and shoots instantly, minus the autofocus.

With the camera off, turn it on and snap a photo. All in the time it takes to say Massachusetts......owned :D

My girlfriend and i would probably disagree with you, oh...the lady in the photo might too :D

45899378.jpg

oohlala. It's customary in Louisiana to disagree only in person. So have her hit me up on msn. woohoo!!

A majority of the P&Ss' have lag. DSLR is the only way to go they will write alot of pics to memory, then transfer it ti the CF. That is why they start slowing down in frame per second, in auto shutter. Some cameras are ultra fast in focusing which accounts for alot of the lag. So Id look at dpreview.com and, see what each camera has for focusing speeds.

I just downgraded from a Nikon D2H to a Canon 20D. I find both are pretty responsive compared to last-gen cameras, or less expensive models like the D70 or 300/350D.

Oh yeah I've got my eye on the 20D. That's my next camera. It has everything I want. :D

Back