Does XMP work on AMD motherboards? Is AMP required?

euskalzabe

[H]ard|Gawd
Straightforward question: does XMP memory work properly on an AMD DDR4 board (not just usable, but actually use the XMP profile)? Or does one have to buy AMP memory or something? I haven't built a PC in 3 years and this whole XMP thing has caught me off-guard.

I'm planning an AM4 build with Ryzen and I cannot decide what memory I should get (other than whatever max speed the motherboard supports).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I currently have a FM2+ mainboard from Gigabyte that recognizes XMP timings on my Mushkin RAM.

It wont run them stably at XMP settings but it was a very cheap MB+CPU combo

I expect most all AM4 boards from reputable vendors should be fine with XMP. Worst case you just program the timings manually.

Got it, thanks! I was only confused because I kept reading about XMP vs AMP memory types from a couple years ago. Good to know that it's possible depending on manufacturer.

xmp vs amp = same shit different pile and never seems to work properly, for me anyways. so...
ive always just manually locked in the ram timings to whatever the xmp is supposed to be and add a tiny bit extra voltage to ensure stability. rock solid every time. but I'm from the old school where you do everything manually.

xmp vs amp = same shit different pile and never seems to work properly, for me anyways. so...

Interesting, I thought there would be noticeable gains. Not that I care either way, just want to make sure I get the best for what I pay. So then I can just set it all to auto on the UEFI like I do now on my old BIOS and forget about it.

that's all that xmp/amp are is an auto setting. but sometimes it doesn't seem to work properly on auto so set it to the same settings manually and it works. like auto overclocking it doesn't always work perfectly.

Back