Does Wal-mart take back opened games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
RogueTrip said:
this is kinda bad to do, but exchange the game for a new one if the box has been opened, then return the un-opened item to another WAL-MART for refund, i did a few years back with Tekken 3.

Edit, thought he said best buy ;)

Wal-mart will not accept a software return for anything other than Store Credit, and that only if you have a receipt. If you return the software for the same box, but unopened, they either keep the receipt or mark it in such a way that it is obvious that it was already returned. Without receipt, you are likely just S.O.L.

Draax said:
So you were abusive to a cashier at walmart, who makes minimum wage, and most likely doesn't give a damn about there job, because they have a store policy which you did not agree with?

You do realize that cashiers do not set store policy, right ?

:rolleyes: x1000

I used to be a cashier for Wal-Mart. First, they do not make minimum wage. They are actually a buck or two higher. Not a lot, I agree, but still higher than minimum.
2nd, the COMPANY policy is that the exchange would be made exactly like you stated...anything missing would be removed from the new package, including the packaging if you did not bring that in, and you would leave the store with nothing more than you entered with.

Therefore, his getting upset with that poorly trained cashier was quite understandable, mostly because as stated, the cashier probably didn't care about their job and hadn't bothered to pay attention to return policy training material.

Aelfgeft said:
They take them back only for the same exact title (which is actually stupid since you could get multiple cd keys that way but it's a necessary measure).

Technically, when you return software they are supposed to take the disks out of whatever the key comes on (cd case usually), put your defective cd in that package, and put the new cd in your old packaging. You are not supposed to walk out of the store with new packaging of any sort.

I had to deal with all this nonsense when I worked at Wal-Mart, because the shift I worked was the one that most criminally-minded types tried to pull their nonsense on - the Graveyard shift. 10pm-7am, and I was both cashier and return desk along with the CSM and (sometimes) 1 other cashier on nights.

Actual company policy states that the return is made for either the exact same item, and that the new disks must be removed from the new box, cd case, and whatever else and swapped with your 'defective' old disks. All you get in the exchange are the disks, nothing else, and you keep all the old packaging you brought it back in with. In the event that there is not another copy in stock, you are supposed to receive either a money order refund (if no receipt, and that simply means that you will get no refund at all until the package can be thoroughly traced to make sure it was not stolen, and then you either get a knock on your door if it was or you get a money order in the mail.) or store credit (with receipt). Store credit is put on a gift card, and the card is marked in some way to indicate that it was either a return no-receipt or a software return. If it was a software return, and you are purchasing something different with that store credit, the new package is to be opened before it leaves the register.

Granted, many stores don't bother to follow company policy. My store did...we pretty much HAD to since my store was the only 24 hr walmart within about a 2 hr drive.

Now, if you were a thief type and wanted to be able to get away with it easily, there *IS* a return scam you can pull on any Wal-Mart, but it costs a lot more initially to start it. I will not detail the scam, but it was painfully obvious while working there that this could be done.

I remmeber being thrown out of a Walmart for the following story that relates to the OP.

I bought a new fan (the new ones that are are rotating cylinder with fins), and when I got it home, the base was broken and the screws were missing. So I drove back to Walmart and waited for 20 mins in the stupid line up. When I got to the cash I explained what had happened and she told me I would be able to do an exchange (which is what I wanted).

Then she asked me where the exchange item was (the new fan). I told her I didn't get it yet. She told me I had to go and get the new fan and then we could do the exchange. I asked her if it would be possible for her to get a staff member to fetch the new fan. She said no..... you need to get it your self.

So I left the desk and went and got a new fan, went back to the desk and she looked at me and asked "What?" Still claim I told her I had the fan and wanted to do the exchange. She started to play dumb and told me she didn't remember what I was talking about. I explained it again, slower. She told me I had to get back in line. (Line was now 8 - 12 ppl longer than before).

SO I got a bit pissed. I told her that I already waited in that line and that because she was to lazy to call a staff member to get my new fan, I have to pay for it?... Don't think so.
Staff - Well thats the policy
Me - Really cause I think it says something about Satisfaction Guarenteed
Staff - Well if you had read the return policy you would know what to do.
Me - How about this, exchange my fan so I can leave, cause its your stores fault in the first place the fan was missing parts!

Turns to another customer and ignors me.

Me - I am not done talking to you!
Staff - well I am done talking to you.
Me - Who do you think you are! I want the manager!
Staff - He's Busy, sorry.
Me - HOW THE FUCK WOULD YOU KNOW, YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET ANOTHER FAN FOR ME LET ALONE FUCKING CHECK TO FIND OUT IF HE'S BUSY. NOW GET ME MY NEW FAN BITCH, I HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS SHIT!

She runs back to back room.
Comes back with the manager, who gives me the evil eye.

Manager - Sir, if you don't watch how you speak to our staff you will be ask to leave right now!
Me - okay I'm sorry just that she was being very rude to me and not helpful at all!
Manager - That is no reason to yell at her and call her names!
Me - I just want to exchange my fan so...
Manger - If you wait in line we will be glad to help you..
Me - I am not waiting in that line again, so how about we take care of this so I can leave this fucking store!
Manager - You have to leave right now sir!
ME - Fuck You... All I wanted was to exchange me fucking fan and you people are being assholes.

The guy call security...

Manger - leave now or we will call the police.
Me - GOOD CALL THEM, YOU PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO RIP ME OFF. SO FUCKING CALL THEM YOU FUCKING PRICK.
Me - HERES YOUR FUCKING FAN! (Toss the good one over the desk).

Security come and walks me out.

I got in my car and drove across town and went to the other Walmart and exchaned it no hassle.

So the moral of the story is, some people are not going to help you exchange an item!

Majin said:
snip

So the moral of the story is, some people are not going to help you exchange an item!

What are you? 10? The person that didn't help your exchange it was yourself. You were the one being a total asshole. I understand you didn't want to wait in the line again, but you could've dealt with it in a much mature manner.

hungryduck said:
I've taken opened games back to target before....
I have at WalMart no hassle. Just asked if I could return it for cash back and she handed me the cash. This was years ago though and their policy might have changed on software/games since then.

Draax said:
Sure it is a reasonable request, that doesn’t mean the store has to honor it. If store policy dictates that you bring everything with you for an exchange, then that’s what you have to do. Getting hostile with a cashier, who is working a shitty job at Wal-Mart and has no say as to what store policy is, is not a good way to accomplish anything.

When I was in High school, I had people like you come and bitch at me, a cashier at a hardware store, all the time. The old adage of "don’t shoot the messenger" very much applies in this case.

Ive working in retail for a couple of years too brother.. I always took my job seriously and really tried to help my customers.. Seeing some one that don't give Two shits about their job and about helping their customer really guts me.

TheBluePill said:
Ive working in retail for a couple of years too brother.. I always took my job seriously and really tried to help my customers.. Seeing some one that don't give Two shits about their job and about helping their customer really guts me.

Its a Wallmart store, which actively kills unions and pays there employees very little, what do you expect. The customer service you get is going to be directly proportional to how happy the customer service rep is with there job. If you dont like the store policy, dont shop there, its real easy.

As for the other poster .... :rolleyes: That must have made you feel real good to belittle a customer service rep. For starters its not the stores fault the fan was missing parts, they dont manufactour them there. Yelling, using profane language, ya thats a real good way to solve your problems :rolleyes: . Being civil, and acting in a calm mature maner will go along way to help you resolve your problems. Yelling and personal attacks will ultimately lead to you not getting your way, and everyone viewing you as the asshat you are.

Draax said:
Its a Wallmart store, which actively kills unions and pays there employees very little, what do you expect. The customer service you get is going to be directly proportional to how happy the customer service rep is with there job. If you dont like the store policy, dont shop there, its real easy.
EXACTLY. Thankfully, the town I live in has a Target, which is where my wife and I do the majority of our shopping. We can get all of the 'normal' items that we need there. We go to Piggly Wiggly, which has a REAL butcher, to get our meat. And, at the end of the day, we usually come out even cost-wise with Wal-Mart. To beat that, the products we buy at these other stores are generally of better quality as well.

Bottom-line, you don't have to deal with Wal-Mart and behaving like an ass with the customer service rep, no matter how snotty they are with you, will never get you very far.

lol this thread is funny espeiclay that wallmart thing LOL, both the customer and staff where at fault IMO, the customer sud of dealt with it without the rudeness, same can be said for the retarded staff and manager.

Draax said:

You are very wrong in this statement. Yes, Walmart does actively kill unions (threatened to close one store, DID close another when the union came in) but they pay MORE than any Union large chain store (Meijer, Target, Kroger, etc) pays their employees, with BETTER BENEFITS. Employees don't get SCREWED by being jacked out of a good chunk of their pay for a union that benefits them either little, or not at all. After having worked for several stores (Meijer and Kroger being the big ones) that were unionized, I am most DEFINATELY anti-union myself. Don't get me wrong, there *IS* a place for Unions. Government employees, Large corporations that have a dedicated union, etc. Unions that are based in California or somewhere and just happen to have a bunch of stores in Podunk, Anystate simply do NOTHING for the employees of the stores in Podunk, Anystate because they are too busy making sure the bulk of their membership based (usually) in California are happy. All they do is suck money out of the "member's" paycheck.

Here's a tip for anyone who is unhappy with their union: You DO NOT HAVE TO BE A FULL MEMBER! You can refuse to pay full dues!. If you are in a Closed Union state like Michigan, the MOST you "must" pay is REPRESENTATIONAL dues, which is a good deal cheaper than full dues.

If you need help dealing with a union that you feel is doing nothing but sucking money away from you, visit http://www.nrtw.org/

Next time you go to a Walmart store, take a look at who is working cash and who is working customer service. The vast majority, other then the manager, are students or other part time employees, which do not get the benefits of full time employees.

That was the whole point of my statement, the people who he was bitching at are not the people who make the store policy, they are most likely part time employees getting paid very little. Im not sure why the validity of unions was brought up.

Part time Walmart employees *DO* get benefits. They aren't as full as a full time employee's benefits, but at least they get some.

Someone hired PT and someone hired FT would both receive the exact same pay per hour to start as well, and the start pay, while still low, is a good bit higher than minimum wage which is far more than can be said for any chain store with a union.

Draax said:
Next time you go to a Walmart store, take a look at who is working cash and who is working customer service. The vast majority, other then the manager, are students or other part time employees, which do not get the benefits of full time employees.

That was the whole point of my statement, the people who he was bitching at are not the people who make the store policy, they are most likely part time employees getting paid very little. Im not sure why the validity of unions was brought up.

Man.. You are the biggest appologist for poor customer service I have ever seen! I bet you get the shit kicked out of yourself just trying to buy a lollypop. Walmart, Just like any other store has to EARN my business. I dont give a shit if joe asshole the punk student is having a bad day. So fucking what! He is under the Employ of Walmart and as such is a representative of the entire store. If the store decides to hire a slackass that dont care then it is a reflection on the whole company. end of story.

I don't have to put up with shit from a company that is trying to make money off of me. If I feel im wronged i have a spine and will not be tranmpled over. Unlike your hypothetical "reject" staff that im supposed to cater to, I work damn hard for my money and I will not waste it due to some slacktards bad hair day.

in your previous post you said that you had people like me (TBP) bitching at you all the time. You Should have had your ass canned then for being part of the problem. Obviously you didnt care enough about your job or your company to actually help someone that came to you for help. Instead you pushed your lazy bullshit on them until they started getting hostle.

I have returned games to wal*mart before, but for exchanges only without a reciept. And they ask for a Drivers License now, so beware of multiple returns.

TheBluePill said:
Man.. You are the biggest appologist for poor customer service I have ever seen! I bet you get the shit kicked out of yourself just trying to buy a lollypop. Walmart, Just like any other store has to EARN my business. I dont give a shit if joe asshole the punk student is having a bad day. So fucking what! He is under the Employ of Walmart and as such is a representative of the entire store. If the store decides to hire a slackass that dont care then it is a reflection on the whole company. end of story.

I don't have to put up with shit from a company that is trying to make money off of me. If I feel im wronged i have a spine and will not be tranmpled over. Unlike your hypothetical "reject" staff that im supposed to cater to, I work damn hard for my money and I will not waste it due to some slacktards bad hair day.

If you don’t like the ploicies at a store, you shop elsewhere ... what is so hard to understand about that. Dont expect them to change the rules they have set down to fit your specific needs.

And how can you still not get that, the teenage customer rep DOES NOT SET STORE POLICY.

Let me guess, you are the type of person who yells at the waitress when the cook does a bad job preparing your meal.

Maybe before people like you, act like asshats, and yell at people following the rules at there place of employment set by the person upstairs, you will look into store policy and return policies before buying something. You have to be pretty stupid, to not ask about store return/refund policies when buying something.

Do some research first and look into store policies before purchasing something from that store. That’s what being a responsible mature adult is all about, not yelling and screaming like a child, because you failed to educate yourself as to what the policies were, before buying something.

All I read in this thread is "ME ME ME", "IT HAS TO BE DONE MY WAY", a bunch of whiney children crying because things didn't work out the way they wanted it to. Well guess what ... life is full of that, get used to it.

Draax said:
If you don’t like the ploicies at a store, you shop elsewhere ... what is so hard to understand about that. Dont expect them to change the rules they have set down to fit your specific needs.

And how can you still not get that, the teenage customer rep DOES NOT SET STORE POLICY.

Let me guess, you are the type of person who yells at the waitress when the cook does a bad job preparing your meal.

Maybe before people like you, act like asshats, and yell at people following the rules at there place of employment set by the person upstairs, you will look into store policy and return policies before buying something. You have to be pretty stupid, to not ask about store return/refund policies when buying something.

Do some research first and look into store policies before purchasing something from that store. That’s what being a responsible mature adult is all about, not yelling and screaming like a child, because you failed to educate yourself as to what the policies were, before buying something.

All I read in this thread is "ME ME ME", "IT HAS TO BE DONE MY WAY", a bunch of whiney children crying because things didn't work out the way they wanted it to. Well guess what ... life is full of that, get used to it.

Boy.. You got awefull angry there when I pushed back at you with something you didnt like.. :rolleyes: *cough*hypocrit*cough*

Like it was stated before, Store Policy for Walmart was on my side. I was in the right. The cashier was being lazy. Learn to read.

Arguing with someone that just doesn't get it over the web is retarded, so I am going to let this go before we get the thread locked or someone gets banned.

-Peace Out

Draax said:
Its called Store Policy, bitching to some cashier who makes minimum wage is not going to do anyone any bit of good.

Its pretty easy, go home get the disk, which should have been brought back to begin with, then return the product, they really are not asking that much.
I remember when I drove 30mins to return an Ipod Mini (realized I had wasted my money). I forgot the extra earbud cushions it came with and had to go all the way back home and get them. :p

TheBluePill said:
Boy.. You got awefull angry there when I pushed back at you with something you didnt like.. :rolleyes: *cough*hypocrit*cough*

Like it was stated before, Store Policy for Walmart was on my side. I was in the right. The cashier was being lazy. Learn to read.

Arguing with someone that just doesn't get it over the web is retarded, so I am going to let this go before we get the thread locked or someone gets banned.
Thank the maker, he's gone. Back to civil conversation...

svet-am said:
Bottom-line, you don't have to deal with Wal-Mart and behaving like an ass with the customer service rep, no matter how snotty they are with you, will never get you very far.
I totally agree. I can shop at Wal*mart if I want to (and to stay on topic, return games...) or I can shop somewhere else. Somebody, somewhere will be an ass to you, and you'll hopefully just deal with it like a human. Shit happens to customer service people, too; they get bad days like the rest of us. If you don't want to deal with them, instead of yelling at them, ask to speak with someone else, or *gasp* shop somewhere else. I'm sure that yelling at them will get you even less than if you acted normally.

When I worked at Circuit City, and I imagine it is this place everywhere, it was US and then the customers. Unless we saw one of our fellow employees do something to a customer, we would always get eachother backs, even if we said, "Yes sir, they made a mistake but we will take care of it."

I have seen customers who were in the total right be asked to leave solely because they dropped an Fbomb; doing that seems to put the managers on the defensive.

I think this thread has hit the "beating a dead horse" point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back