Does w7 have windows 98 style taskbar?

mobusta1

2[H]4U
Windows xp and vista had the option to keep the windows 98 style task bar where you could just click on start (or in vista the windows icon) and hover over programs/settings/search/run etc but I noticed in w7 you don't have that option. Is there another way?

You can technically hover those items all day. Just don't expect anything to come of it :)

Windows xp and vista had the option to keep the windows 98 style task bar where you could just click on start (or in vista the windows icon) and hover over programs/settings/search/run etc but I noticed in w7 you don't have that option. Is there another way?

For the love of all things holy, why would you want that?

You can still get into the Programs list by hovering over "Programs", but the Classic Start menu is (thankfully) gone.

For the love of all things holy, why would you want that?

Seriously. Can someone please honestly explain to me what the fascination with the old taskbar is? Is it just because that's what they're used to? I find it incredibly ignorant when people (not aiming this at the OP, just saying in general) are so set in their ways that they'll avoid an entire OS just to keep doing things the old way.

The new taskbar is very simple/useful to use and takes all of 5 minutes to figure out.

You can download 3rd party themes to change windows 7 into classic Win2K look and feel. Why anyone would want to I don't completely understand. IMO, the new taskbar takes minutes to figure out, but you won't want to go back once you've tasted it.

There are also registry hacks to get the classic taskbar with the quicklaunch, but the end result looks looks more like Vista's taskbar than Win2K or XP. Just google windows 7 taskbar hack, and you should get plenty of results.

It is really strange Microsoft took out the classic theme in Windows 7. Windows Server 2008 R2 has it built in as default, and both Operating Systems run off the same kernel and a lot of their codebase is the same.

It is really strange Microsoft took out the classic theme in Windows 7. Windows Server 2008 R2 has it built in as default, and both Operating Systems run off the same kernel and a lot of their codebase is the same.

Um, I don't know what kind of edition of Windows 7 you might be using, but the classic theme is still present under Personalization.

Seriously. Can someone please honestly explain to me what the fascination with the old taskbar is? Is it just because that's what they're used to? I find it incredibly ignorant when people (not aiming this at the OP, just saying in general) are so set in their ways that they'll avoid an entire OS just to keep doing things the old way.

The new taskbar is very simple/useful to use and takes all of 5 minutes to figure out.

i don't think it has anything to do with functionality, even psychologically. I have no problem using any of the themes, but always prefer classic. I actually like the newer features with win vista and win7 (search function in start menu, and the "border window-maximizing/halfinizing" respectively).

For me, the classic theme represents my fight (i know it's a small fight, shutup) against stuff that adds absolutely nothing to the OS. It represents my fight against "cool" colors and effects on windows. It represents my fight against coding a window to specifically import gif files of rounded edges just so that a window can have rounded edges (i know steam does it this way, not sure if win7 does it like this). I guess i just like to think of software engineers as constantly doing functional updates, new useful features, or security patches, not wondering how to implement some cool new "looks"

serpretetsky said:
For me, the classic theme represents my fight (i know it's a small fight, shutup) against stuff that adds absolutely nothing to the OS. It represents my fight against "cool" colors and effects on windows. It represents my fight against coding a window to specifically import gif files of rounded edges just so that a window can have rounded edges (i know steam does it this way, not sure if win7 does it like this). I guess i just like to think of software engineers as constantly doing functional updates, new useful features, or security patches, not wondering how to implement some cool new "looks"
"God help us, were in the hands of engineers" :p Don't worry I believe the GUI is done by a seperate team.

Get_the_Fuck_out.gif

The Win7 taskbar and start menu, as has been pointed out, are infinitely more useful than the older styles - it's not just eye candy.

Fair enough, but you're forgetting there are actually new features in there too. It's all not just a bunch of pretty colors and effects. Disable Aero and you get those new features without a bunch of the fireworks and sunshine (colors and effects).

Nice Troll thread. This is the 2nd thread today about this stupid topic.

^^ didn't your mother ever teach you, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

This is not a bad question, nor a troll, if you actually read what he was asking for, and do some genchi genbutsu with his proposed task.

Having to click each folder when looking through you Start menu can be an annoyance if you are looking for something, and might not know where it is.

I am pretty organized, but sometimes programs install in crazy places, and Win7 adding a bunch of click-click-clickety-click-click can make the search less productive.

This is not a bad question, nor a troll, if you actually read what he was asking for, and do some genchi genbutsu with his proposed task.

Having to click each folder when looking through you Start menu can be an annoyance if you are looking for something, and might not know where it is.

I am pretty organized, but sometimes programs install in crazy places, and Win7 adding a bunch of click-click-clickety-click-click can make the search less productive.

Which is why you simply type the first few letters of what you're searching for in the start menu's first page, and it will find it for you faster than you could click through.

Which is why you simply type the first few letters of what you're searching for in the start menu's first page, and it will find it for you faster than you could click through.

+1. I've heard this what I consider lame complaint at least a half-dozen times and I always say this. Unless you really are lost there little need to be hunting and packing on a Windows 7 machine. You can usually find what you need with a word or two most.

Thanks for that. I just installed W7 and I'm still figuring out the new task bar. This is a major usability improvement from my perspective (I'm a Linux CLI power-user).

Do you (or anyone else) know of a good rundown of how the new task bar works & where it differs from previous incarnations?

+1. I've heard this what I consider lame complaint at least a half-dozen times and I always say this. Unless you really are lost there little need to be hunting and packing on a Windows 7 machine. You can usually find what you need with a word or two most.

A lot of times I forget the name of the program I want but when I see it I'm like "ah ok this here it is". The old version had it's faults but it had its benefits too, just like the new version.

Back