does VMWare ESXi have sound support

I understand that there is no sound support by default in ESXi due to the bandwidth required to stream sound over the network, however, it is my intent to only use the guest locally. Is there a way to configure ESXi to allow sound support for guests launched locally w/o choppy streamed sound? Is it even possible to launch a guest locally in ESXi?

answers to questions:
VMWare Workstation was an option until i learned that it is not supported on AMD64 Host OS
it would be nifty to use ESXi to launch whichever os i feel like w/o reboot
VMWare Server is a beast during host boot, which rages me
my understanding is that ESXi does not require Host OS and is free
i like WINE, just want to try something else.

-=

Where did you see that VMWare workstation (6.5) was not support on a x64 host os? It should work fine and should give you the sound support you want.

ESXi will not work for you. The only thing you have access to "locally" in ESX is the service console, and esxi doesn't even have an official service console (I think you can get to it, but never used it, just ESX). ESX/i does not lack sound support because of network bandwith, it's because you don't need it for it's intended use. It's built to virtualize a bunch of x86 server OS's onto a single box/farm of boxes so you can make full use of modern x86 hardware. Although I've seen an article about Xen providing a hypervisor which works on a pc and allows seamless switching from one OS to another, and at EMCWorld the VMWare guys told me they allegedly have something in the works to, your only current solution is VMWare Workstation.

workstation not supported on AMD64? This is news to me :p
ESXi is not realtime emulation. It's for servers, and no, no sound support. You don't want to use it for a desktop like you're trying, especially since it won't work like that ;)

ESXi has a busybox SC, which isn't useful for anything you'd want to do.

Back