Does Vista take advantage of Intel's QuadCore ?

If you see a significant need to buy the stuff, buy it. I would call a significant need the point where you couldn't play new games anymore, or everyday computing tasks make the poor box slow to a crawl, but that's just me. Anyway, there's no way any of that should be happening on your rig.

Well Supreme Commander was reviewed in PCGamer and it says the more cores on a cpu the better the game plays, and also that it eats up memory, and the more the smoother the game is......It is the first true next gen game engine where it actually uses all this new hardware available, it is multicore enabled, and can use endless amounts of memory, and a killer sound card with memory all helps the game play at it's best

Hey, I came across this thread googling "multi core programming in vista" but, now that I am here i'd like to put my input into my experience with multiple cores and windows vista.
I purchased a new computer last week, namely a quad core intel, with 2gb ddr 800 ram, 500gb hdd and an asus 8800gtx videocard. At first, I was not sure whether vista in fact used all the cores it had at it's disposal, as most of the applications I run (eg games) are still 32bit, and where not optimized for multiple cores. However, with some applications (such as the ones included with windows, like ie7, wmm etc) seem to use all the cores rather well. In task manager, whenever I have an application open, activity is read on all the cores. To be honest, I don't really see a huge difference in performance (ie7 doesn't really need that much processing after all) but it's nice to know that the cores are being used a little, rather then just sitting there idle. Atleast until proper multi-core applications are developed.

Remember that you don't need a single app that takes advantage of using multiple cores in multiple threads. The OS will also schedule even the individual primary thread in multiple processes across different cores. Even if BusyProgram.EXE doesn't have multiple threads, you might run three or four instances of BusyProgram.EXE and get the benefit.

Back