Does tubing size matter?

Well seeing some mixed opinions around old threads across the web. Since the rad and blocks are so restrictive, does the tube size honestly matter?

Looking to get into WC to mainly cool my GPU right now, as im running a D14 right now. And in the future maybe add a second GPU, and CPU. Its not so much for extreme OC, though Im sure it start increasing, but more for a quiet PC solution.

I plan on using swagelok fittings and SS tube, though i plan on removing my window panel for a blank panel, and throwing some dynomat inside.

At or above 3/8" ID, no, it doesn't really matter for most watercooling setups.

Supposedly 3/8ID is more pressure and less flow, and 1/2 is more flow less pressure.(I could of got those backwards I'm old and forgetful)

However in most standard loops the difference is minimal that it's not really noticeable.

Also rads and most modern cpu blocks are not restrictive. Its Motherboard blocks and some GPU blocks you have to watch out for.

If you are just starting out with water cooling, look into the Rasa kit's they are a complete kit with pretty decent parts that leave room for expansion later on down the road. They are made for CPU's but with a RX240, RS360, RX360 you could add a GPU to the loop for the cost of the gpu block some extra fittings and maybe some tubing.

I've had 3/8" and 1/2" in my system. I noticed no difference at all. The whole flow/pressure argument made by many is weak and inconsequential when considering those two sizes. But this is the [H], so when i doubt, go BIG.

Yeah I'm just gonna get started. I'm going to assume to put my gpu under, room for a second gpu, and maybe CPU (just shelled 80 on the d14). Was just researching stuff. Since my fittings would most likely be free through work and tubing aswell wasn't sure the route to go. Also was thinking of flipping my Evo fans around and trying a triple 180 in the bottom. Not sure how it would work though.

if you do decided to go water cooling, take some pics and do a worklog.
since you'd probably need to mod the case to fit the rads, should be at home in the 'cases & case modding' section.

Flow rates are more determined by length of loop, bends, flow restriction of blocks and radiators and the pump flow rate.

More than just the size of the tubing. I do think larger fittings and tubing do help ensure maximum flow rates.

im just not sure how flipping the fans over, and blowing through a rad down to the ground would perform. Would almost need to block the case off the ground.

I modded a case I had hanging around, left over to mount the rads on the side, blowing out. Didn't see how down or up facing would work out well. The machine sits under a desk which is why I didn't mod for blowing air up.

I agree on pics and a work log. I did a lot of it in my head and thus suffered from a bit of trial and error.

I modded a case I had hanging around, left over to mount the rads on the side, blowing out. Didn't see how down or up facing would work out well. The machine sits under a desk which is why I didn't mod for blowing air up.

I agree on pics and a work log. I did a lot of it in my head and thus suffered from a bit of trial and error.
Yeah, out the side is not something you see too often for whatever reason. Works like a champ for me:
IMAG0573.jpg

IMAG0572.jpg

Last edited:
So i guess my question is now,

How many loops for CF 6950 (6970 unlocked and clocked) and a 2500k?
I dont see the need for chipset etc.
I dont care what it looks like, im not doing the bling thing, infact im ordering a blank side panel for my RV02. I was thinking of trying to find the magicool triple 180 and re-using the evo fans. If two loops are needed, would a single 180 be enough for the cpu(I'm gonna say yes based on the all in ones being smaller but this is a diff rad so who knows), and a dual 180 enough for the gpus?

Also whats a good cheap block for the 1155? Again im not looking for led lights etc, so im sure there is a cheaper alternative that is just as good? Are the magicool rads any good? Anyone else rock 180s? Also what pumps, swiftech?

Last edited:
Not sure on the block, but as to loops - it is really preference.
I run a single loop myself (2x 560gtx ti, 1x 460gtx, 1x 2600k) without any issues at all - keeping things plenty cool.
I have tons of rad capacity (2x 360's) but then again I like very quiet - main reason I watercool (other than the OC).

Yeah that's why I'll be doing water. I wanna run quiet but I'm sure I'll push an oc or two. Otherwise no reason to buy the stuff I did. Guess I should just got wc from start not the nh-d14. Ahwell

well, I must admit that I overclock just about everything as well... The water cooling was mostly for quiet first, and definitely for quieter overclocking :)

Before I added the water, turning on the system sounded like a jet engine preparing for take-off.

I'd go 1 loop instead of 2, that way you're not constricting your cooling of either loop. Gabe from swiftech actually posted a very indepth article over at xtremesystems about this topic. The short version is, 2 loops each loop can only cool as well as each radiator in the loop. But since a cpu task is only loading the cpu or a game is marginal on the cpu and loading all your gpu, combining the cooling power into 1 loop gains you better temps. Also, doing 2 loops in an RV02 would be more difficult than if u went with 1 with only the triple 180 rad u mentioned.

Also, that triple 180 rad has MASSIVE surface area, more than a quad 480 radiator, it should have zero trouble cooling xfire + 2500k, assuming those fans don't suck total ass on it.

And here I always thought the proper tube size was whatever kept a cooler of beer, not to mention my pale self, from sinking into the river.

In regards to computer water cooling tubes, has anybody every tried high strength extra thin tubing so that the tubing itself could act as a passive radiator? Similarly, why is it so rare to split the loop to cool each GPU separately and then the water rejoin just afterwords?

Last edited:
From what ive read the Evo fans are great. Why I got the Evo version. I have read they flow on low what the older ones would flow on high and are quieter on high to boot. From recent google searches it seems the silverstone Evo fans as best in the 180 category. So I'll focus on one loop the. Just thought the gpu temps might raise the CPU temp up but I'm sure it will still be low. Am I assuming that I won't need chipset cooling as I'm not messing with that just multi on CPU, and not trying to break oc records either.

What pump should I be looking at?

From what ive read the Evo fans are great. Why I got the Evo version.

If by "Evo" fans you mean "AP181" then yes, they're great fans.

Am I assuming that I won't need chipset cooling as I'm not messing with that just multi on CPU, and not trying to break oc records either.

Chipset cooling is for cosmetic reasons only.

What pump should I be looking at?

DDC based pumps are easiest to work with in an FT/RV02 case.

Back