Does this sound like a motherboard problem?

Blown 89

2[H]4U
My computer has been locking up and crashing frequently...more often in games but sometimes in normal applications in which it's running much slower than it used to. I ran two memory tests and all of my modules failed but when I ran them on two other computers they passed with flying colors. I also reformatted. I noticed today that the chipset heatsink (passively cooled stock unit) is scorching hot...to the point I can barely touch it. My ram is also running VERY hot as well but when I put it in my other P4 system the ram is cool to the touch. Everything is at stock speeds and I'm starting to wonder if the heat is a sign of a problem. Sound like a motherboard issue?

Asus P4P800-E Delux
3.0 ghz P4
PNY 6800
2 gig Patriot memory

By the way, how is Asus' RMA department? Good? Hopefully it's better than Abit's.

Blown 89 said:
My computer has been locking up and crashing frequently...more often in games but sometimes in normal applications in which it's running much slower than it used to. I ran two memory tests and all of my modules failed but when I ran them on two other computers they passed with flying colors. I also reformatted. I noticed today that the chipset heatsink (passively cooled stock unit) is scorching hot...to the point I can barely touch it. My ram is also running VERY hot as well but when I put it in my other P4 system the ram is cool to the touch. Everything is at stock speeds and I'm starting to wonder if the heat is a sign of a problem. Sound like a motherboard issue?

Asus P4P800-E Delux
3.0 ghz P4
PNY 6800
2 gig Patriot memory

By the way, how is Asus' RMA department? Good? Hopefully it's better than Abit's.

Yeah it does indeed sound like a motherboard problem. Good troubleshooting on your part btw. Asus has a great rma department IMHO. I've had 0 problems with them. they also sent me a new chipset fan for mobo as the early a8nsli deluxe mobos had a bad chipset fan issue with buzzing noises etc..

Cool thanks, I'm glad to hear their support isn't as bad as Abit's. I've had to deal with Abit three times before and it was an absolute nightmare. We'll see how ASUS treats me :D

Back