does this modem diag page look proper?

krupted

2[H]4U
UntitledMODEM.png

reason i ask, im getting intermittent dropouts the last week or so. the internet goes down for about 30sec and then comes back, without any interaction on my part. i also lose QAM clear channels for hours and days at a time... but i think thats because comcast is switching over to all digital right now in my area. it might be the reason the internet has been shady, but if anyone that knows see something wrong with my modem, i would appreciate the help.

this is the scary log-
MODEM2.png

Yeah, looks good... when it's online that is.

Modem SNR 38dB (I like to see between 35 and 40)
Downstream power +1 (between -10 and +10 is the acceptable range, typically)
Transmit power 44dBmV (less than 55 is where you want to be)

Of what the modem tells you, this is what you really need to worry about.

When the internet is down you'll want to check this signal page and see if any of these values change.

cool. well, i know its not my wrt54g with tomato firmware... however, i also have a netgear wireless N router with DDWRT attached to the switch... and for whatever reason i completely lost internet a few weeks ago, and after trying seeming everything it turns out all i needed to do was turn that router off and then back on (even though it was working fine!) somehow, that router locked up the internet for the rest of the network, and i fear it might be causing my problems again. sound feasible? i dont know enough about networking (yet) to troubleshoot well.

Routers locking up are common. They look like they're working, you may be able to even connect wireless, but the router just isn't passing packets.

You need to learn ping testing. When you're connection is down you should start seeing where the break is.

im chalkin this up to RF interference i guess... or overheating.

the modem, router, and switch all sit on a flat table, but i noticed the modem was touching the router, and there was a slight warmth shared between the two.

moved the modem 1ft away from anything, and now the internet it top notch, rock solid again.

Back