Does this mean I have bad sectors?

Axsuul

Limp Gawd
When I access my secondary hdd (such as getting a directory listing of a folder), sometimes there will be a 2 second pause, then the hdd will make an audible *click* noise before Windows Explorer lists the contents. Does this mean I have a failing hard drive or bad sectors? Please advise, thanks for your time.

Could be failing, I would get the files off or back them up somehow right away. Then run some diagnostic software on it, Windows built in one or the manufacturer probably has some kind of diagnostic software.

goto cmd prompt and run "chkdsk c: /r" or whatever drive is giving you problems. it may require a reboot. it will fix bad sectors

What you describe is exactly what my secondary mechanical disks do when I access them after they've spun down to save power. There is a pause while they spin back up, then a click and the window refreshes with the drive/directory contents.

In short, if this is happens once after your drive has been idle for a while it's probably nothing to worry about it. If it happens often, or before the drive has a chance to go to sleep, you might have a problem. If this is the case then second the suggestions to run the diagnostic software provided by your drive manufacturer and/or chkdsk.

goto cmd prompt and run "chkdsk c: /r" or whatever drive is giving you problems. it may require a reboot. it will fix bad sectors

Just run chkdsk without the /f and it'll let you know if it finds problems without trying to fix them. The last thing you want to do is write to a drive that's failing.

Also, you should do a quick check of the SMART. You can use this to check it easily

http://www.almico.com/speedfan440.exe

1. If you're under Vista Or Win 7, run the app as administrator.
2. Do an online analysis of your drive, and tell us if anything is marked as bad/ or not normal.

Back