Does this look interesting to you?

Typical Ubiquiti doesn't stop with new products. Every time I turn the corner there is something new from them.

Looks interesting and they claim it supports asterisk which makes sense it would sense it is Android. The modification possibilities are limitless compared to the Cisco IP phones that I have currently.

Not a half bad looking phone,

I'm sure it will be cracked so employees can play angry birds on it.

It's a nice touch but I'd much rather go with the Gigaset Pro-series....
//Danne

The form is pretty sexy for a phone. I'll get one to test with asterisk pbx, but I'm a little skeptical given some of their QA software problems with the unifi AP lines. Given it's not super high power android guts in there (1.2 dual core w/ 1gb ram), I'd be curious what lag is like after a while.

I've had pretty good luck with the value of yealink phones, it would take a lot to sway me from that.

The form is pretty sexy for a phone. I'll get one to test with asterisk pbx, but I'm a little skeptical given some of their QA software problems with the unifi AP lines. Given it's not super high power android guts in there (1.2 dual core w/ 1gb ram), I'd be curious what lag is like after a while.

I've had pretty good luck with the value of yealink phones, it would take a lot to sway me from that.

pretty much my thoughts... but i love me some ubnt...

will be buying one of these to play with

looks hot. not a lot of documentation yet. hmm, i'm wondering if these would work with our ancient pbx..

Not a half bad looking phone,

I'm sure it will be cracked so employees can play angry birds on it.

This was my concern as well. The phone portion of the android OS apparently integrates with UniFi, but does the base android OS? We could probably install these for our executives, but if there is no way to centrally manage and lock down the Android OS portion of the phone, that kills any chance of them landing on the average user's desk. Nice looking phone though, can't wait to get a couple.

yea, actually... at first i thought the OS was just "android-based" to allow for rapid software deployment, etc... now that i'm seeing renders of it with just android app screens and stuff showing, i'm not as excited about it...

the yealinks we use are pretty set-and-forget... the last thing i want to have to do is support a bunch of complicated-to-use android devices...

i'm also interested in these new gateways coming out... looks kind of like a pre-configured ER-Lite.... but configured via unifi 4.0... that's interesting...

EDIT: whoa whoa whoa... i just figured the unifi would be used as a deployment/configuration/provisioning tool... that's not all, it has a PBX built in! i'm sure it's not as powerful as the players out there now, but that's crazy... continuing ubnt's way of doing business, they'll provide the software for free as long as you buy the hardware...

that's kind of huge for them... it's probably like a freeswitch based system... i am definitely keen to hear more about this now....

Last edited:
Looks a lot less interesting now.

The new phones REQUIRE the new Ubiquiti USG.

"Initially, the VoIP phones will require the USG because the USG is the PBX and can be configured as such"

Those look interesting wonder if they would work with my toshiba phone system.

I'm 5 scripts in on that site and I'm still not getting a picture

no sale

In 4-6 months they will actually be available and in about a year they will look interesting once a lot of the bugs are worked out.
Expect a lot of pain at first.

In 4-6 months they will actually be available and in about a year they will look interesting once a lot of the bugs are worked out.
Expect a lot of pain at first.

pain is not what you want for a phone system....

pain is not what you want for a phone system....
A new phone system is always a pain.
Which is why I wonder if this can take off.
Every time I have helped a client set up a new phone system there are always snags and undocumented settings and the vendor does part of the setup.
With their history of limited and crappy documentation and no support other than the forum I wonder if it would be a good business move to ever invest in the phone equipment. Certainly not right away.

Back