Does this logic make any sense to you guys?

Xcellere

Limp Gawd
I'm about to purchase my new CPU for my MSI Neo2 Platinum (939). Instead of saving money and going with a 3500, 3800, or 4000, I'm thinking of going with the FX-55.

My reason boils down to the idea that I can sell the FX-55 for nearly as much as I'll pay for it ($840) on eBay right before the FX-57 comes out (whenever that is). Then just repeat this same process each time a new high-end chip comes out.

Does anyone think this makes sense, or should I go with a 3800 and save myself the cash and skip this idea?

Also, I'm not seeing huge performance differences between the FX-55, FX-53, 4000, 3800, and 3500. So that's why I'm not too happy about spending $840 on this chip, the only thing that's keeping me spending that much money is my idea of reselling it.

Nice! You have pretty much the same rig as me, same CPU cooler, mobo, etc. How hard was it OCing the 90nm 3200 being the multis were locked?

not that hard. raised htt by 10mhz till i got to 250. then i had to lower htt to 4x from 5x bump the voltage a litte and then settled for 260 x 10 xmulti = 2600mhz.

faster than a fx53 :D

Did you check to see if used chips go for such a high price, because I'd think not? I know I wouldn't pay $700+ for a used CPU, nor would I pay that for a new CPU :eek:

Vette

When that time comes, the value of the FX-55 will have dropped. Plus, as already mentioned, yours will be a used chip so the value will be even lower. Finally, you have to factor in EBay's commission, plus Paypal's commission (if applicable and assuming you use Paypal).

While it's the best all-around performer out there, It's not a bang/buck chip and there's really no way around it.

Unless you have the extra cash to blow on an FX-55 then its impossible to come up with a reasonable answer for buying an FX processor that costs $800+. It would be near impossible to tell the difference between an FX-55 and any s939 A64 clocked at 2.6Ghz. Yes you can overclock the FX-55 even higher then 2.6Ghz but thats still not nearly enough to make the processor worth that price tag.

Its a whole hell of alot smarter to buy like a A64 3500+ now and then buy another CPU next year that falls into the same price range.

pandora's box said:
not that hard. raised htt by 10mhz till i got to 250. then i had to lower htt to 4x from 5x bump the voltage a litte and then settled for 260 x 10 xmulti = 2600mhz.

faster than a fx53 :D

Faster than a NON OVERCLOCKED FX 53. :D

I agree with the others. Get one of the more reasonably priced socket 939's and overclock it. $800 is at least twice the amount that I would even remotely consider spending on a CPU and it's 4 times more than I have actually spent on one. Bang for the $$ and good overclocking potential are a [H]ella bunch more important to me then being able to brag that I have the fastest stock CPU on the planet at the moment. I'm the type person that if I felt I just HAD to have one I'd probably get it but that isn't gonna happen. I'd feel MUCH better about my new system if I did what Pandora's Box did and get a cheaper cpu and overclock it to 2.6ghz for cheap. :cool: It's for these same reasons that you'll never see me spend $300+ dollars to have the fastest video card either when you can wait 6 months and get it for roughly half that. I know - I'm a cheap Bastard. :D My whole system in my sig cost me about $400 including monitor. I buy used when possible also.

burningrave101 said:
Unless you have the extra cash to blow on an FX-55 then its impossible to come up with a reasonable answer for buying an FX processor that costs $800+. It would be near impossible to tell the difference between an FX-55 and any s939 A64 clocked at 2.6Ghz. Yes you can overclock the FX-55 even higher then 2.6Ghz but thats still not nearly enough to make the processor worth that price tag.

Its a whole hell of alot smarter to buy like a A64 3500+ now and then buy another CPU next year that falls into the same price range.

The 939 4000 and FX55 have 1MB cache,where the 3800 and lower have 512 MB cache.
The 4000 and FX 55 will smoke the other ones if you overclock them like the lower versions. If the money is not a problem go for them,they will not be out dated as fast as the lower ones. :cool:

CMAN said:
The 939 4000 and FX55 have 1MB cache,where the 3800 and lower have 512 MB cache.
The 4000 and FX 55 will smoke the other ones if you overclock them like the lower versions. If the money is not a problem go for them,they will not be out dated as fast as the lower ones. :cool:

I think "smoke" is a rather improper term to use considering the difference in performance will be so slight you would be very lucky to notice it outside of a benchmark. It doesn't matter what the benchmark tells you if it doesn't actually feel any faster in real world performance.

1MB cache makes little difference except in a few select areas.

The 4000+ and FX-55 wont give you any more logetivity then the 3500+ will because they simply are not that much faster at all and when dual core processors start releasing next year there will be new performance crowns handed out.

Any smart CPU buyer will tell you the best price/performance CPU is the one thats at least the second or third fastest in the lineup. The fastest processor is always very expensive and never worth the price tag.

It's late, but here it goes. Wouldn't be nice if the king of price:performance was like $300. Sure there would be budget chips all the way down to $60 or what ever, but imagine being able to justify a $300 processor, and the shear performance :) At least that's how I am thinking right now.

Vette

Ends my dumbest post.

Xcellere said:
I'm about to purchase my new CPU for my MSI Neo2 Platinum (939). Instead of saving money and going with a 3500, 3800, or 4000, I'm thinking of going with the FX-55.

My reason boils down to the idea that I can sell the FX-55 for nearly as much as I'll pay for it ($840) on eBay right before the FX-57 comes out (whenever that is). Then just repeat this same process each time a new high-end chip comes out.

Does anyone think this makes sense, or should I go with a 3800 and save myself the cash and skip this idea?

Also, I'm not seeing huge performance differences between the FX-55, FX-53, 4000, 3800, and 3500. So that's why I'm not too happy about spending $840 on this chip, the only thing that's keeping me spending that much money is my idea of reselling it.
You COULD do that, but then you'd have a lot of "downtimes" in just before releases, when you have just sold your CPU, and still waiting for the new ones to become available. Besides, you'd have to upgrade your board, video card, etc as well...

Xcellere said:

You're insane!

only buy the FX-55 if you have money burning a hole in your pocket or you are going to put it in a promy system.

The 3200+ 90nm s939 will more than likely do 2.5-2.6ghz and get you all the perfomance you'll need for the near future, and with the money you save you can setup a dual 6800U setup if you want speed. Hell 6800u cards are more likely to hold their value than an FX CPU.

Apparently youve never heard of the concept of depreciation. What you buy now, is worth less later. Why the hell would someone buy a used fx-55 chip, months after its release, for the same price that they could get a brand new one? Not to mention, that the fx-55 will cost less brand new when the fx-57 comes out. The only way youll get all your money back on selling it is to some uninformed idiot who didnt bother to check what the cost of the chip is. Unless you plan on saving it for 50 years until it becomes a collectors item

The ONLY Reason to get an FX-55 over any other chip is the strained silicon SOI. Resale values vary and will drop, fluctuations in the market will occur. Buying a chip now for a high dollar amount and expecting to sell it later for the same amount is just asking for trouble. You will have to take a hit in one way or another. If you lost $100 or $200 in this whole transaction, then you already would have lost the entire value of a good 90nm 3200+ or 3000+, which have great track records of overclockability well into the FX series' range.

As the owner of two FX's, I say save your money, buy a 90nm Winchester, spend the extra dough on a bunch of water cooling parts and a good motherboard, and have fun. The FX series is not about bang for the buck. It's about the halo effect. Just like what the Vette does for Chevy and the NSX does for Honda/Acura. It's about the fastest thing you can buy stock. But who the hell keeps their stuff stock anyway?

Matt.

Like others have said, just get the 3500+ at newegg for $270 and call it good. Then you can upgrade later to probably something like a 4000+ or 4200+ for the same price and still have spent less overall then you did for the FX chip.

Back