Does this laptop exist? Specs question for those in the know

Blorgon

Limp Gawd
I'm having trouble finding what I want, and don't have the patience to go sorting through all the possible configurations of the laptops I have found so far.

Here's what I want:

i7 6700HQ
16GB DDR4 RAM
256-512GB SSD
FHD display
And the kicker, NO DISCRETE GRAPHICS. I want a laptop using only the 6700HQ's iGPU.

And as small and thin and light as possible. Does this device exist yet? I'm tired of finding laptops that only meet some of these requirements and not others. I'm not at all interested in spending any extra money on discrete graphics or touch screens or ultra high resolution or any of that other crap.

Probably the thinnest is going to be the XPS 15... but it doesn't meet all your requirements exactly.

It has a UHD touchscreen monitor AND it has a GTX 960 video card.
http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-15-9550-laptop/pd

The thing is, pretty much any laptop with a super fast laptop processor is going to include discreet graphics.

EDIT:
Here is the 1080p, non-touch version of the new XPS 15. This is probably the closest to the specs you want. The only thing that doesn't match is that it includes a GTX 960m.
http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-15-9550-laptop/pd?oc=dncwx1630h&l=en&s=dhs

I actually tried chatting with a dell rep and it was completely useless. I would post the interaction here, but unless you want a quad-facepalm worthy block of text I don't think I am going to.

Last edited:
Yup, you want high performance in a laptop, prepare to pay the bundling premium.

Nobody is going to make the laptop you want because the profit margins on that are non-existent! The more parts you bundle, the more price premium they can charge you :D

Yup, you want high performance in a laptop, prepare to pay the bundling premium.

Nobody is going to make the laptop you want because the profit margins on that are non-existent! The more parts you bundle, the more price premium they can charge you :D

I can't imagine that if Dell had put a quad core in the latest XPS 13, it'd wouldn't have flown off the shelves.

I can't imagine that if Dell had put a quad core in the latest XPS 13, it'd wouldn't have flown off the shelves.

And it would have overheated. Nobody wants to pay for a quad core they can't use. And making an attempt to cool it anyway would mean more of the bulk taken up by heatsinks, which leaves less room for batteries.

This is why the 45w chips are reserved for 15" and above. It just so happens that you can also fit a decent (sub 50w) gaming GPU into a 15" laptop!

Sure, the combination still overheats when you're playing demanding games,but not all that much.

Last edited:
And it would have overheated. Nobody wants to pay for a quad core they can't use. And making an attempt to cool it anyway would mean more of the bulk taken up by heatsinks, which leaves less room for batteries.

See, that's actually a compromise I'd be willing to make. I've been looking at the XPS 13 guts and it doesn't look like much has to be moved around.

I dunno man, I'm just dreaming.

I saw a video the other day that seems like it might have what you are looking for, if/whenever it comes out... https://youtu.be/XbowuAFbslI?t=2m58s

This (http://store.hp.com/us/en/Configure...1&storeId=10151&catEntryId=1052164&quantity=1) looks like it's able to be configured with the i7 6700hq without a discrete card, but it's using DDR3 instead of DDR4 (if that makes a difference), and doesn't come with a configuration for an SSD, though I'd imagine the configurable HDD could probably be swapped out for an SSD. www.amazon.com/dp/B016530YMO/ looks to be basically that configuration, just with a 2TB HDD instead of SSD or www.amazon.com/dp/B016505MLA/ with the touchscreen.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The smallest 15.6" notebook is the XPS 15.

If you don't mind a slow response time screen, the XPS 15 is worth looking at.

I paid $1274 or so shipped from dell with a 6300HQ. Depending on that you will be using the computer for, the 6300HQ is no slouch.

When apple updates the retina macbook that will be close to what you want as well, just a higher res screen. They have offered the 15" with the quadcore cpu and only intel graphics for a while now, they just haven't refreshed from haswell yet.

This may be your best bet:
It meets most everything except the ssd, which you could put in for cheaper anyways:

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/Laptops/hp-envy---15t-slim-quad-laptop-t1p54av-1

Last edited:
How come there's nothing anywhere about the laptop ASUS was using in the XG2 demo at CES?

None of the websites I've seen even mentioned it in their CES coverage. How is nobody like, "holy shit! What's with this sweet machine here?"

How come there's nothing anywhere about the laptop ASUS was using in the XG2 demo at CES?

None of the websites I've seen even mentioned it in their CES coverage. How is nobody like, "holy shit! What's with this sweet machine here?"

Pretty much this...

The 6700HQ in the 13.3" form factor (not much bigger than 12.5" IMHO) is claimed to NOT throttle from Asus. Though no testing or benchmarks are out yet and we should all take that with a grain of salt. However if that were to be true under load then like Linus said, Asus nailed it and I completely agree with him.

Linus's Video on the 13.3" i7 6700HQ Ultrabook

Watch from 3:05 if you are more interested in the laptop itself. I mean a 13.3" with that sort of hinge is amazing.. With a 6700HQ you could actually do some light gaming on it's own and the integrated GPU, along with that it will blow Razer's i7-6500u out of the water.

Razer demoed the same concept with the blade stealth.

It will ship end of January and we'll see how it works. I'm inclined to support Razer on this since they're using a standard connector.

Razer demoed the same concept with the blade stealth.

It will ship end of January and we'll see how it works. I'm inclined to support Razer on this since they're using a standard connector.

The Asus uses USB 3.1 / TB3 as well, but requires two.

What makes me lean toward the Asus is because of the CPU. Give it a slight under volt and it should drop 1-3c maybe more. Sure the XG2 probably won't be as friendly as the Core when it comes to being able to use the enclosure with other laptops but it's solely dependent on driver support from that notebook manufacturer. I don't think it'd be plug and plug for every laptop with a tb3 port but as of right now we honestly don't know.

TB3 is bound to hit lower end laptops. When they do, eGPU will be the "hot" topic. The reason it hasn't been before is due to port limitation. (windows laptop anyway, apple has had thunderbolt for a long time now) I can't wait to finally buy a cheap laptop with a thunderbolt 3 port, buy a egpu enclosure and be able to game on a "non" gaming laptop.

Back