does this exist?

SinShiva

Limp Gawd
i'm wondering if people know of any software that would a.) have the ability to create self expanding partitions in ram and b.) run from a context menu to create approximate storage space for a file on the hdd (in ram), and then move the file into ram. then a paste feature would dump it to the hdd from ram.

this kind of feature would make excellent use of my ram + raid array, at least

(this could probably be scripted pretty easily in linux via tmpfs)

You see a need to answer your question, but if it is not answered right away by someone with exact expertise, then try re-asking the question, with your thoughts not as a wish fulfillment but as something specifically technically addressable.
My inference on your question spots not using RAM but thru a HBA and those are still $$$y.

Indeed!

Doesn't windows do this already to everything on the PC? You start a program or something and then it reads from the HD and puts it into RAM where you interact with it.

You can even get firefox to use only RAM for its web cache, its builtin.

Type about:config into the Location Bar

Set these preferences to these values....

browser.cache.disk.enable to False
browser.cache.memory.enable to True

i was thinking along the lines of right clicking on say, a 4gb movie, pressing 'supa copy' and it copies the file into cached ram. then when you paste the file, it's pasting from memory rather than a different location on the same hdd.

I'm pretty sure most OS'es already do this, you just need a battery backup to enable it in advanced drive settings

well, on my current hardware, i've found the only way to get the best use of my hdd's streaming bandwidth is to copy a file to my ramdisk, then copy from there to a new location on the hdd. this has been granting me many, many times the throughput of a hdd to same hdd copy. at the very least, this is likely eliminating the effect of random access thrashing the hdd mid-copy

Back