Does this craigslist GTX 280 buyer sound fishy to anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawGiver

2[H]4U
Im trying to sell my GTX 280. This is the second email from this person. The first just asked if available I said yes but not until wednesday bc as it turns out i forgot i sold my spare. then he replies with this:

Hi there,
I am so impressed to hear that you still have the item up for sale because i am ready to make out the payment for it...Kindly inform the other buyers that the item has been sold because i'll be issuing out a Money Order/Check to you once you provide me with your mailing information.To issue out the payment i will be needing your full Name,Mailing address and Phone number and i will contact my assistant to have the payment mailed out to you because i am presently on a business trip and i really need to buy this item before someone else paid for it and i'am also willing to offer you extra $30 so that you can keep the item for me.
I have a personal shipping account with continental express shipping company i will have them come for the pickup once the payment has been received by you...I will make sure the payment is delivered to you and after you get it processed then you can contact me on when you want my shipper to come for the pickup.

Note : Kindly make sure you send me your physical address and not a P.O Box address because mail do get lost in P.O Box sometimes so make sure its your correct physical address you can as well attach the item picture for me and if you don't have one its no problem.

I will be waiting to hear back from you soon so that i can notify my assistant for issuing out of the payment.

Thanks

Needless to say, I doubt I will be contacting him again.

yeah its more of how he says it, although asking for my physical address and not PO Box due to potential mail non-delivery makes no sense as he is not sending me anything, than what.

Well my assistant says it is a perfectly legitimate circumstance to ask for someone's mailing address in case you need to send them...nah just joking around...scam weirdo. Don't sell to him/her.

easiest way to spot a scam is the long drawn out sentences with horrible grammar that don't really make sense also a lack of punctuation and run-ons and fragments and also they tend to use odd words that are semantically equivalent to other more commonly used words yet sound weird and all that kind of stuff but remember good sir kindly pack the item i'll pay you extra!!

easiest way to spot a scam is the long drawn out sentences with horrible grammar that don't really make sense also a lack of punctuation and run-ons and fragments and also they tend to use odd words that are semantically equivalent to other more commonly used words yet sound weird and all that kind of stuff but remember good sir kindly pack the item i'll pay you extra!!

I see what you did thar.

put it this way if I have an assistant why would I shop at craigslist?? on that not I'll my assistant do the shopping...lol

are you serious, I don't think you have to ask us if it is fishy, anytime somone asks you to ship something overseas or anywhere please just ignore the email, when you have your item on craigslist. and some people do fall for it sadly.

Bernie Madoff is more legitimate than this guy. The email exhibits the quintessential framework and characteristics (ie poor grammar and usually spelling) of most craigslist scams.

That. Paying $30 extra just to reserve a card like a used GTX280 is really fishy as well.

However, having said that, I don't think there's much to lose. He sends you money, you tell him when to ship, he ships for you. If you don't get your money unconditionally and in full, don't ship. Simple as.

if one has to ask about it, it is....i read about the first half of the first line and all i could see is scam scam scam

Anytime you read broken engRish, it's a scam! You can even reply and tell them to f*ck off.

One more thing - besides all the shit I said in my first post, probably the most blatantly obvious clue is the fact that he makes absolutely no mention of the item in question. You know this exact same email is being copied and pasted to thousands of other craigslist sellers, whether they're selling vaginal ointment or hacksaws.

Having to deal with this on a daily basis I can assure it is a scam!

I just reply back with (Sheriff) Joe Arpaio's office address and phone number.

I posted an item on Craigslist and received the exact same Email. It's a scam.

It's a scam, I had a similar offer on some furniture I was selling. Let's just say the AG is now investigating it.

As stated before, better safe than sorry.

Dear Friend,
My very rich father has just passed away leaving gazillions of dollars to me in the will, however I don't have a bank account, could I use yours?

This is absolutely a scam. I have seen this a thousand times and the scammer "sends" you a "electronic" money order as a precautionary measure. There is no such thing as an electronic money order. Get his address and report it to the authorites.

That. Paying $30 extra just to reserve a card like a used GTX280 is really fishy as well.

However, having said that, I don't think there's much to lose. He sends you money, you tell him when to ship, he ships for you. If you don't get your money unconditionally and in full, don't ship. Simple as.

Yeah, except that this guy will probably send you a "check" for more money than the asking price, and ask you to "refund" him the balance. So you do all that and then a week or two later the bank tells you that you deposited a phony check, and they debit your account for the entire amount. But by then you are out the card plus the "balance" you sent this guy. Classic scam, but usually they do it with high-ticket items like cars.

x.509

Those guys crack me up. They really do. The only way to piss them off royally is to play their game. Pretend you're falling for it etc. - waste their time. They might actually get caught that way cause they'll be itchy to check the post office or whatever -- more chance for them to make a faux pas

Definitely a scam. Most craiglist ads are replied in the typical internet slang and are pretty short and sweet. That's a little too eloquent for my tastes.

Tell him/her to have their assitant contact your assistant.......wtf an assistant.....yeah man I can afford to have an assistant because I buy second hand gpu's....oh and of all the 280's in world your 280 is the bestest ever...I will pay you twice the amount a new one cost because....................? Does a bear shit in the woods?

Phishy indeed, sir.

I've never had this happen to me when selling on craigslist, got only legitimate responses for my 3870x2 and my Athlon X2 6400+ system. Not unheard of, though.

We were trying to find a home for a dog on pet-finder and got tons of emails like this. At the time I wasn't sure if it was a financial scam or someone trying to get the dog for medical experiments. After some research I found out there are tons of venues for this type of scam.

Yea, that's why I put the link to 419eater.com in my previous post (in case one of you want's to screw with these losers. There's a lot of funny reading there too)

scam scam scam..

anytime someone says this:

"Kindly inform the other buyers that the item has been sold because i'll be issuing out a Money Order/Check to you once you provide me with your mailing information"

run!! I have had several buyers say that exact same line trying to scam me out of my aquarium lights and chiller when I was trying to sell them on CL..

just reply back and tell them to shove it and take the scam else where. thats what I always did.

Yeah, except that this guy will probably send you a "check" for more money than the asking price, and ask you to "refund" him the balance. So you do all that and then a week or two later the bank tells you that you deposited a phony check, and they debit your account for the entire amount. But by then you are out the card plus the "balance" you sent this guy. Classic scam, but usually they do it with high-ticket items like cars.

x.509

My mom and sister fell for this except with a room to rent and money orders. Were out like 4G's

I ran into this exact same thing last spring selling some car parts. Don't deal with anyone that will not contact you on the phone. I usually only deal with people that are local and can come to your place in person with money in hand. You shouldn't have any problem selling your card locally if the price is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back