Does this CPU exist?

Boostage

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 25, 2008
Messages
327
I am looking for a CPU that is about 50% faster than a Q9550 @4ghz. obviously I don't mind Overclocking, but needed to be able do this with practical cooling solutions. I really havent kept up with SB processors. I kinda fell off the radar last year when the Octocore AMD bombed. So is there a CPU out there for me right now?
 
For 4 threads there does not exist a processor that is 50% faster than a Q9550@ 4GHz. For more threads the 6 core / 12 threaded i7s will beat your requirement.
 
i7-3930K - But again the performance advantage depends on if you can use its cores.

and what Speed is it 50% faster?

That would depend on the application. Some applications that effectivly use (6 or more threads) it can achive that at stock. While other applicatins that do not use 4 threads it can not achive that it is maximum overclock (around 5 GHz).

Also if you are a gamer this is not really a gaming processor since few games today will use more than 4 threads.
 
Last edited:
50% is a bit too generic, do you mean 50% faster IPC? Or 50% faster when comparing max overclocks? And which applications/games are you referring to?
 
50% is a bit too generic, do you mean 50% faster IPC? Or 50% faster when comparing max overclocks? And which applications/games are you referring to?

To give you an idea of what I do. I run Dual monitors and on one screen I Have Vmware running at least one OS at all times, sometimes two. on the other screen, I run my daily apps (utorrent, Chrome,/Firefox tons of tabs) then occasionally run VLC or fire up a pc game or Ps2 Emulator. ps2 emulator is pretty taxing btw. I also z7ip or winrar a lot of the things I download. and I dont really shut anything down In short My CPU usage is never under 50% and this is around the clock.
 
To give you an idea of what I do. I run Dual monitors and on one screen I Have Vmware running at least one OS at all times, sometimes two. on the other screen, I run my daily apps (utorrent, Chrome,/Firefox tons of tabs) then occasionally run VLC or fire up a pc game or Ps2 Emulator. ps2 emulator is pretty taxing btw. I also z7ip or winrar a lot of the things I download. and I dont really shut anything down In short My CPU usage is never under 50% and this is around the clock.

This is a perfect situation for an overclocked i7-3930K
 
an i7 3930K is a great CPU if you can afford it, otherwise an overclocked 2600K/2700K will also give a nice boost to your current setup.
 
I agree with the 6 core suggestions. Your use case will use those extra cores. Depending on budget, you can start out with the 4-core now then upgrade when the IB-E is released.

PS you may want to start out with a video card upgrade... And then go from there.
 
The 3770K is over 50% faster on average (sometimes 100%) in CPU benchmarks than a 9550 at stock speeds. For overclocking, the Q9550 2.83GHz to 4GHz would mean the 3770K would have to hit 4.5-4.6GHz (roughly) for the performance delta to be the same.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/50?vs=551

For games the improvement will be much smaller. In your use case, even a 3770K will be a big upgrade, 6 core even moreso.
 
get another computer (so you have two), and share your mouse/keyboard across both computers....

that way, your virtual machines get their dedicated cores while your PS2 emulator runs on its own cores as well

but last I checked, PS2 emulators = 2 cores? as long as you only need one dedicated core per VM for 2 VMs, a 6 core CPU works fine(other cores for random daily multitasking)
 
More interested in improving what I have now. getting a second computer defeats the purpose of a VM
 
To give you an idea of what I do. I run Dual monitors and on one screen I Have Vmware running at least one OS at all times, sometimes two. on the other screen, I run my daily apps (utorrent, Chrome,/Firefox tons of tabs) then occasionally run VLC or fire up a pc game or Ps2 Emulator. ps2 emulator is pretty taxing btw. I also z7ip or winrar a lot of the things I download. and I dont really shut anything down In short My CPU usage is never under 50% and this is around the clock.

Not to hijack this thread but why does anyone need to run Vmware with dual OS's on a home PC? Just curious since I can't think of any reason I would need to do anything like this at home.

Also, same thing goes out to people who run F@H. I know it is a scientific research experiment helping Stanford University to break down complex proteins and whatever, but why do people build PC's and purchase video cards to run this sort of thing 24/7 when all it does is increase your electric bill by a ton? Do you somehow get paid by getting high scores in F@H?

Same goes with programs like 3DSMax and other complex video editing software on home PC's. Obviously, this stuff isn't used just for Youtube videos right? What could you guys be encoding all day that requires so many hours? Are you ripping all of your $1 supermarket DVD rentals everyday so that you don't need to buy the film? Or encoding torrents for some reason even though they are already encoded in avi or mkv formats?

Like I said, I'm just curious because I notice when I read a lot of threads on here people talk about doing all of these CPU or GPU intensive tasks everyday at home and I'm not knowledgeable enough in the tech world to understand why they would be used so often outside of a professional environment.
 
Not to hijack this thread but why does anyone need to run Vmware with dual OS's on a home PC? Just curious since I can't think of any reason I would need to do anything like this at home.

Also, same thing goes out to people who run F@H. I know it is a scientific research experiment helping Stanford University to break down complex proteins and whatever, but why do people build PC's and purchase video cards to run this sort of thing 24/7 when all it does is increase your electric bill by a ton? Do you somehow get paid by getting high scores in F@H?

Same goes with programs like 3DSMax and other complex video editing software on home PC's. Obviously, this stuff isn't used just for Youtube videos right? What could you guys be encoding all day that requires so many hours? Are you ripping all of your $1 supermarket DVD rentals everyday so that you don't need to buy the film? Or encoding torrents for some reason even though they are already encoded in avi or mkv formats?

Like I said, I'm just curious because I notice when I read a lot of threads on here people talk about doing all of these CPU or GPU intensive tasks everyday at home and I'm not knowledgeable enough in the tech world to understand why they would be used so often outside of a professional environment.
1) Because it's [H]ard.
2) I am actually re-encoding my AVIs/MKV/OGM/whatevers into m4v. Works across all my devices that way.
3) I'm running 4 VMs on my ESXi box - File server, Web server, Mail server, and Application server. Working on some certifications, so most of those serve 2 or 3 functions.
4) I'm slowly ripping our DVD/BluRay collection and digitizing them. We only have about 200 DVDs, but it's still going to take a while.
5) I was previously employed as a 3D artist. I like to keep my skills there up to date, even if I'm not doing it professionally anymore.

In short, we're power users. We do it all because we can.
 
1) Because it's [H]ard.
2) I am actually re-encoding my AVIs/MKV/OGM/whatevers into m4v. Works across all my devices that way.
3) I'm running 4 VMs on my ESXi box - File server, Web server, Mail server, and Application server. Working on some certifications, so most of those serve 2 or 3 functions.
4) I'm slowly ripping our DVD/BluRay collection and digitizing them. We only have about 200 DVDs, but it's still going to take a while.
5) I was previously employed as a 3D artist. I like to keep my skills there up to date, even if I'm not doing it professionally anymore.

In short, we're power users. We do it all because we can.

I agree with everything you said except for #4. I would just torrent the movies instead, saves you a lot of time. Unless you have crappy internet of course.
 
To give you an idea of what I do. I run Dual monitors and on one screen I Have Vmware running at least one OS at all times, sometimes two. on the other screen, I run my daily apps (utorrent, Chrome,/Firefox tons of tabs) then occasionally run VLC or fire up a pc game or Ps2 Emulator. ps2 emulator is pretty taxing btw. I also z7ip or winrar a lot of the things I download. and I dont really shut anything down In short My CPU usage is never under 50% and this is around the clock.

Sounds like you need more cores/processors rather than higher clock speeds.


Not to hijack this thread but why does anyone need to run Vmware with dual OS's on a home PC? Just curious since I can't think of any reason I would need to do anything like this at home.
Just because you don't have a need for it clearly does not mean others don't have many reasons for doing such a thing.
I prefer Virtual Box and run at least one VM at all times.

Few reasons:
-OS program/app compatibility and performance
-Security and software communication testing and functionality
-Sandbox environment with VM and image backup/restore
-Virtualization to save energy, space, and costs if multiple OSes are needed with a single unit

Just to name a few.

Obviously, this stuff isn't used just for Youtube videos right? What could you guys be encoding all day that requires so many hours?
You know, just because you may not be able to understand anything beyond a GUI doesn't mean that we don't.
I do know many people that use Adobe Suite CS5.5 and Final Cut Pro, among a slew of others apps, for youtube vidoes and other professional media sites; ever here of a youtube parner?

HD 1080p+ video does require hours, if not days to encode, depending on the system, software, and the task(s).

Also, same thing goes out to people who run F@H. I know it is a scientific research experiment helping Stanford University to break down complex proteins and whatever, but why do people build PC's and purchase video cards to run this sort of thing 24/7 when all it does is increase your electric bill by a ton? Do you somehow get paid by getting high scores in F@H?
I am a part of Folding@Home and specifically purchased a GTX460v2 and GTX480 for folding purposes.
One day, if you ever get one of those diseases; hopefully you don't; you might be thanking members of Standford and [H] for dedicating our time and 'electric bill' to your cure. ;)
The technology is just a means to and end.

In short, we're power users. We do it all because we can.
This.
 
Last edited:
Not to hijack this thread but why does anyone need to run Vmware with dual OS's on a home PC? Just curious since I can't think of any reason I would need to do anything like this at home.

Windows Host OS (because gaming still requires windows... hard to game on linux), and still dual boot with ubuntu

using virtualbox

Linux Guest for programming/coding when I'm in Windows

I find that programming in clean environments work best, so I can have multiple VMs when I am programming different things

Other VMs for testing
 
Not to hijack this thread but why does anyone need to run Vmware with dual OS's on a home PC? Just curious since I can't think of any reason I would need to do anything like this at home.

Also, same thing goes out to people who run F@H. I know it is a scientific research experiment helping Stanford University to break down complex proteins and whatever, but why do people build PC's and purchase video cards to run this sort of thing 24/7 when all it does is increase your electric bill by a ton? Do you somehow get paid by getting high scores in F@H?

Same goes with programs like 3DSMax and other complex video editing software on home PC's. Obviously, this stuff isn't used just for Youtube videos right? What could you guys be encoding all day that requires so many hours? Are you ripping all of your $1 supermarket DVD rentals everyday so that you don't need to buy the film? Or encoding torrents for some reason even though they are already encoded in avi or mkv formats?

Like I said, I'm just curious because I notice when I read a lot of threads on here people talk about doing all of these CPU or GPU intensive tasks everyday at home and I'm not knowledgeable enough in the tech world to understand why they would be used so often outside of a professional environment.


I run a VM that is running Faronics Deep Freeze, so I can Surf the web and try out different Apps and to go any website I want to without compromising my OS. And Eliminate the need for Antivirus. also use it to Beta Test Linux Disros, play old Games that Doesnt work well on a 64 bit os. etc. I actually do a LOT in my VM that I don't want to do in my Primary OS
 
But why do you need a processor which is 50% faster then Q9550 ??? you can definitely go with 2nd to 3rd gen cpuz but why do you even need to ???
 
Back
Top