• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Does the X-fi decode Dolby Digital from an external source?

Naldo

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 7, 2001
Messages
3,739
I plan on getting an HDTV in a week or two, and I want to know if I will be able to somehow hook up the digital out from my TV to my soundcard and have it do its thing and output the 5.1 signal to the speakers connected to my PC. If this is possible, how do I go about doing it?
 
If you have an X-Fi with a breakout box (Platinum or higher), you can connect to S/PDIF-In via coax or optical and configure the card to decode S/PDIF-In. You can then decode either Dolby or DTS.
 
Chastity said:
If you have an X-Fi with a breakout box (Platinum or higher), you can connect to S/PDIF-In via coax or optical and configure the card to decode S/PDIF-In. You can then decode either Dolby or DTS.
Even with the X-Fi music, if you are using a coax digital connection instead of optical, you can connect it to the top plug on the bracket and set the control panel to treat that as a "Digital I/O" instead of "Mic-In/Line-In".
 
I have the Xtreme Music (so no breakout box for me), however I noticed on the creative site it says that the "Flexijack" on the back of the X-Fi "supports SPDIF In with Creative Digital I/O Module (sold separately).". So if I bought that I/O module thing would it be the same as having the breakout box?

Also, how does the decoding work? Whenever I turned on my TV would the sound autmatically start coming out of my PC speakers or would I have to go to my PC and enable it everytime?
 
So if I bought that I/O module thing would it be the same as having the breakout box?


Yes, but better, It's the same external breakout box the Elite card has.
 
Back
Top