• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Does the NEC P242W include a surge protector?

SD45

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 4, 2009
Messages
164
Here's a strange one. I put a P242W to use about ten days ago and it has worked well except for one oddity. A few days in, I noticed that it just went dead, or at least I was unable to determine what if anything I had done that caused it to go dead. The power button would not restart it. Turning the computer off and on would not restart it. Unplugging both components from the surge protector into which they are plugged, and then plugging them back in, did return them to normal operation. Or maybe it was just a result of waiting a minute or two.

Today I noticed that the P242W kicked off when I turned off a halogen lamp that has been plugged into the same surge protector. I now recall that this was the sequence of events the first time, too. Suffice it to say that the halogen lamp is now plugged in somewhere else.

Does the P242W have some sort of overload device to protect it against sudden power surges? Or is this a sign of a weak capacitor? I've had some past experience with displays that sometimes quickly turned themselves off when started up cold. In those cases, all you had to do was try again. Just that that little bit of warmup apparently relieved the strain enough to matter.
 
Good question. Was the power LED on at all when you couldn't turn the display on?
 
No. The monitor just went dead and would not turn on. I had to unplug both the computer and monitor for a minute. As soon as the monitor was plugged back in, the "NEC" screen came on and then when the computer booted up everything proceeded normally.

I've been researching this a bit and apparently I was the last person on the planet to know that halogen lamps interfere with other electronics, though most of the commentary is about interference with wireless hubs. Some of the commentary refers specifically to a sudden burst of EMI when the halogen lamp's on/off switch is used, which is how it is happening with the P242W.

Even though I disconnected the halogen lamp from the surge protector that feeds the computer and monitor, and plugged it directly into another wall outlet, the same failure occurred today when I turned off the lamp. I am not sure whether that wall outlet is on the same circuit.

Interesting.
 
Definitely interesting. Let us know if anything else strange happens, though it seems like moving your lamp will solve the problem.
 
That may be what has to occur. Or just replace the lamp.

I wonder if there is something different about LED displays that make them more sensitive to EMI. This never happened with several CCFL displays that have occupied this position next to the same lamp.
 
Back
Top