Does the MB need RAM to post?

funkydmunky

2[H]4U
Have a AsusZ170-e I am trying to troubleshoot and get to post. I get a RAM error LED upon booting. Being I do not have other DDR4 sticks, and am trying to rule out the RAM not being the sole issue, should it post with no sticks?

The BIOS will run in the CPU cache up to a certain point, but that's primarily so it can initialize the RAM to continue with the rest of system initialization and testing. So your only option for ruling out RAM is using another set of modules or put the current modules into another system to test them.

You do not need memory or a CPU to flash the UEFI / BIOS of some motherboards but you do need it to POST. If you are trying to troubleshoot via reading error codes, the system will either stop before the RAM test or stop when the RAM isn't detected.

Thanks for the additional info. I thought getting an older model Intel board would give me no issues with basic RAM Kingston HyperX 2133. I have never had RAM issues before when buying mainstream parts.

I've actually seen really basic, JEDEC spec modules fail to function correctly on some motherboards at stock settings. It's unusual, but not unheard of.

A Ryzen build I did for a friend with all of its supposed RAM issues works just fine with an out of the box BIOS and a RAM purchase based on what was the best buy atm. I went ultra conservative for this Intel mining rig and...yeah. Although it could be a bunk board or RAM, but I am doubting it due to varied behaviors depending on the RAM slot.
The board has a MemOK! button. Anyone have any experience in using this feature to enable RAM compatibility?
My experience is that when I populate either A1 or A2 slot the MemOK! LED stays on indicating an issue. By pressing the button it cycles through settings in hope a stable setting is reached and it posts. When the MemOK! cycle is completed with no apparent resolution I power off, unplug mains power for 10 seconds then clear the CMOS. Plug back in and try another stick or slot.
Am I doing this right? As well in the manual it shows clear CMOS as two pins, yet on the board there are four pins! I clear both sets but not sure why it doesn't match the manual, or if I am succeeding, being I can't get into the BIOS.

Last edited:
Yes! MemOK works, but it's more like something you use to get into BIOS so you can dial in your settings than something you leave on.

I am trying to get into the BIOS, or even post! Not something I am leaving on. Its LED alert is ON from power-up with any sticks in A1/A2.

What board is it? Some of the ASUS boards have a button on them that will take them into the BIOS on startup. Failing that, you need to try putting one memory module in the slot farthest from the CPU and trying to get into it.

What board is it? Some of the ASUS boards have a button on them that will take them into the BIOS on startup. Failing that, you need to try putting one memory module in the slot farthest from the CPU and trying to get into it.
Z170-E. I have tried RAM, three brands in every slot. Regardless of the RAM I get identical results when sticks in A1/A2. And different, but identical results in B1/B2.

Sorry, this is contradictory.
A1/A2 RAM gives an identical set of results regardless of RAM and what slot.
B1/B2 RAM gives an identical set of results regardless of RAM and what slot, but the results are different then those of A1/A2.

Sounds like board is FUBAR'd

Yes it does. If clearing the CMOS, pulling the CMOS battery, and the one stick trick doesn't get it to post, something is physically wrong with it.

Okay I feel stupid about this, but for posterity sake.
Appears I bought an Intel G3930 which is a kabylake cpu. I read up on Asus's site before purchase and it said Celeron G3930 - Validated since PCB - ALL. I jumped the gun as I assumed incorrectly that meant out of the box compatibility for all versions of the board. Wrong! Needs an updated BIOS. Problem is I need a skylake CPU to get it to boot so I can update. And I live in a small town with no PC stores.
Maybe I should sell it parted out. RAM, CPU, MB and try to recoup what I can.

That motherboard should allow you to flash the BIOS without an installed CPU or RAM. Remove the RAM and CPU, and see if you can. There are instructions for this on ASUS' website.

Back