• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Does the Dell 2405 scale well?

ras2a

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 14, 2006
Messages
99
I'm expecting my Dell 2405 some time this next week - The order hasn't actually been paid for, so I still have time to back out.

Only one thing is still concerning me, and that is the ability to run at non-native resolutions - i.e. how well this can be achieved? Would it be possible to run at resolutions such as 1152x768 and 1280x1024? - How do these resolutions look? Are they stretched to fit the screen, or do you get the black bars?

I have a half-decent rig (Athlon 64 3500, 7800GT, 2GBRam), but in case I can't run things at native res, I'd like to be able to run at lower res (while allowing to turn details up)

Edit: What is the BEST resolution to scale to in order to improve game performance (i.e. one that displays the least bluriness etc)?

thanks for any help
 
Your talking about gaming correct?

I am not a huge gamer, but there is no black bars, when i play, if I edit the resolution.

No LCD, runs well enough in my opinion, to play at lower then native, as I am picky, but comparing my Dell to others, its no worse. I have played CS, WOW, FEAR, all without any black on them.

If your talking, at startup, with windows, etc, again, no black lines, but again, a not so pretty resolution, off of native
 
T0pSh3lf said:
Your talking about gaming correct?

I am not a huge gamer, but there is no black bars, when i play, if I edit the resolution.

No LCD, runs well enough in my opinion, to play at lower then native, as I am picky, but comparing my Dell to others, its no worse. I have played CS, WOW, FEAR, all without any black on them.

If your talking, at startup, with windows, etc, again, no black lines, but again, a not so pretty resolution, off of native

Hi mate, yeah gaming...I would certainly run everything in native apart from gaming. I know that my rig should play quite a lot of stuff ok, but that it may choke at native when settings are increased. I guess another question would be: Is it at all possible to play at 1152x768 or 1280x1024 in a 1:1 scale? i.e. with black borders? That would suit me fine. Am I worrying over nothing? Some folk say the scaling is not a big issue, others say it's terrible
 
I have never played, with black borders, so I cant answer that. But as for scaling, on lower res's, its nowhere worse, then any other monitor.
 
I have a 2005, so I can't really testify too much to the 2405 (different panel) but the scaling on my 2005 is great. I really can't tell much difference when I run CoD2 in non-native with widescreen aspect turned on. I run 1152x768 or 1200whatever and it really looks fantastic and really helps out the frames in games that your system might chug along on with native rez. I know however that I can still handle a lot of games at native with my 3000+/1gig/6800oc.
 
ras2a said:
Hi mate, yeah gaming...I would certainly run everything in native apart from gaming. I know that my rig should play quite a lot of stuff ok, but that it may choke at native when settings are increased. I guess another question would be: Is it at all possible to play at 1152x768 or 1280x1024 in a 1:1 scale? i.e. with black borders? That would suit me fine. Am I worrying over nothing? Some folk say the scaling is not a big issue, others say it's terrible

I have a 2005FPW and it can display 1:1, so I assume the 2405 can do the same.

Many of the older games can be played at 1280x1024 which is perfect for the 2005 as it pretty much fills up the vertical plane, leaving black bars on the left and right (without scaling). I much prefer the black bars as it improves performance while leaving the image razor sharp.

Of course, back when DVDs first came out I wasn't one of those people complaining about the "black bars" on the TV screen. I was much more concerened with getting the original aspect ratio than "filling up the TV screen" with a picture. Now that I have an HDTV it doesn't matter.
With my 2005 it's the same way. What's great about widescreen monitors though is that some games like HL2 are coded in Widescreen so you are actually seeing the OAR when in widescreen mode, while on a traditional monitor the game is cropped.
 
Thanks everyone,

I have received the order confirmation this morning and it is ready to be delivered mid-week.

I have never been so indecisive about purchasing PC gear...but I'm still in 2 minds whether or not to cancel.

Although I'm not a hardcore gamer (I know, I keep saying that), I do love games and would like to be able to run things ok using my 7800GT. What is the best resolution to use for this monitor that fills up most of the screen yet still 'looks' good?

thanks
 
Back
Top