Does the DDR3 2000(O.C.) specification...

BIOS9

n00b
trying to build a new comp for a friend. I built mine years ago and kind of need to touch up on this stuff.

so does the DDR3 2000(O.C.) specification on a mobo mean i have to fiddle with the motherboard settings to enable DDR3 2000 ram to run at that speed? the O.C. part kind of throws me off. or will it just run at DD3 2000 automatically if the ram comes like that?

if not, how do you tweak the motherboard to let it run at DDR3 2000?

for example this ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220464

thanks guys... i remember using this forum years ago to understand this stuff :D

Normally it means that'll it will support RAM up to that speed, but the (O.C.) part means that it isn't officially supported by the CPU/chipset. You'd likely have to manually set that speed in the BIOS, but it shouldn't be a big deal. What motherboard is it for?

Yes, it means you need to overclock in order to reach that speed. 2000 MHz RAM is pointless anyway. Anything faster than 1333 is pointless (except for Llano for the GPU).

Read some review on the motherboard you are buying. most reviews will show you whats needs to be done. Almost every application will be a little faster with faster ram. especially things like photo shop that use a lot of memory.

Read some review on the motherboard you are buying. most reviews will show you whats needs to be done. Almost every application will be a little faster with faster ram. especially things like photo shop that use a lot of memory.

Better get a faster CPU. Or an SSD. Memory performance is already more than needed, it only makes an impact in synthetic benchmarks to have DDR3 2000.... and that only by 3%.

So would it be better to get 8gb DDR3 1333 or 4GB DDR3 2000? Just how significant is the memory difference between two ram of the same capacities? Any links to tests that have been done? I couldn't find any in a quick google...

My friend is just planning on playing games with the pc if that provides some context.

Depends on what processor, but it is normally better to get more RAM rather than faster RAM. For Sandy Bridge, specifically, RAM speed is not important.

With any new build now, I almost always would defer to 8gb over 4gb, especially given how cheap ram generally is. And as Forceman stated, on Sandy Bridge the RAM speed is probably less important than any other chipset. Unless the build is very budget conscious, I'd look for 8gb of 1600 ram at 1.5v, as that seems to be a good common denominator and usually isn't too much of a premium over the 1333 sticks.

So would it be better to get 8gb DDR3 1333 or 4GB DDR3 2000? Just how significant is the memory difference between two ram of the same capacities? Any links to tests that have been done? I couldn't find any in a quick google...

For the most part Ram Capacity is more important than the clock speed. you will get more real world performance out of 8gb or 1333 than 4gb of 2000.

Yes, it means you need to overclock in order to reach that speed. 2000 MHz RAM is pointless anyway. Anything faster than 1333 is pointless (except for Llano for the GPU).

Not necessarily.

The performance mark sweet spot for Sandy Bridge CPU's is 1600mhz.

1333 is the official supported and default speed of the processor.

It was proven that 1600 does in fact offer a performance increase. But past 1600 is epeen.

I have also noticed a difference in the 2 speeds on my own system on certain task.

Games will not matter though one bit.

trying to build a new comp for a friend. I built mine years ago and kind of need to touch up on this stuff.

so does the DDR3 2000(O.C.) specification on a mobo mean i have to fiddle with the motherboard settings to enable DDR3 2000 ram to run at that speed? the O.C. part kind of throws me off. or will it just run at DD3 2000 automatically if the ram comes like that?

if not, how do you tweak the motherboard to let it run at DDR3 2000?

for example this ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220464

thanks guys... i remember using this forum years ago to understand this stuff :D

Depending on what you are building you can enable the X.M.P profile of the ram. Makes it pretty easy.

It was proven that 1600 does in fact offer a performance increase. But past 1600 is epeen.

Show me that proof. I haven't seen any test where 1600 vs 1333, or hell, 2133 vs 1333, gives you more than a few FPS in x264 FIRST PASS or shaves a second off a 7zip compression task, or something really insignificant like that which makes the spent money a waste.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/20377

Back