• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Does the 6800gt actually need RAM cooling?

Blauman

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 27, 2004
Messages
1,550
I was looking at getting the new Swiftech H20-120 h20 kit and want to get a 6800 vid block, but theres does not cover the RAM like the DD block does. I was wondering that since it is GDDR3 if it really needs active cooling or if some sort of RAM sinks for just passive cooling will do the trick. I dont OC it to high just to Ultra speeds. Any answers are greatly appreciated.
 
i have exactly the same question too. i was thinking of getting a geforce6800 and keep the ram sinks on there, but remove the gpu heatsink and replace it with a waterblock. that is my current plan.
 
I would honestly say it depends from card to card..... I would say that if you are wanting to get a decent overclock out of the ram that you would at least need some sort of passive cooling for the ram.... as for watercooling the ram I think that it is somewhat overkill unless of course you are into the volt modding aspect of things.... :D
 
thats what I was thinking. I have read a couple of reviews of the Danger Den 6800 block that does cool the RAM and they said they would have better OC's on the core if the RAM wasnt being cooled cuz the RAM was introducing much more heat to the system. And Sunama thats not a bad idea to use the stock cooler on the RAM. I took mine off when I put on the NV5 Silencer I may have to go back and see if that can be attached with the heatsink as I cant remember :). I am just wanting to move to h2o cooling for the noise part of it. I dont OC big number but like to do some, but all the fans are killing me. I was looking at the new kit just put out by Swiftech the H2O-120.
 
Blauman said:
I am just wanting to move to h2o cooling for the noise part of it. I dont OC big number but like to do some, but all the fans are killing me. I was looking at the new kit just put out by Swiftech the H2O-120.

2.5yrs back i had exactly the same thoughts. i first moved from loud fans to quieter fans, controlled by rheostats. when that wasnt enough, i read up on watercooling, then i made the switch completely. the difference in noise was massive. during winter when i turn down my rad fans right down, i run virtually silent. now im at a stage where i could never go back to air cooling. one problem though is when u upgrade, with all the waterblocks u have, u have to spend much more time,money and effort on the new waterblocks and installing them.
 
yeah I know what you mean. But right now the way my PC is I cant sleep with it on :). I have been wanting to move to water cooling for sometime just never did. But now I am really looking into it.
 
Back
Top