• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Does the 400SC have the juice?

cauthon

n00b
Joined
Jul 22, 2004
Messages
2
Is the power supply in the Dell PowerEdge 400SC capable of driving either the ATI X800 or nVidia 6800 class cards?
 
Probably. I recently upgraded from a 400SC and I had all this running from the stock "250W" PSU:

P4 3.0C
1GB PC3200
2 DVD burners
3 hard drives (2 x 120GB, 1 x 160GB)
floppy
5900 @ 475/950 (in the same power range as a 6800GT)
RAID controller
WinTV PVR-250
Digifire 7.1

The PSU is equivalent to 325-340W that most other company would rate the power supply. I wouldn't run a 6800U or 6800UE with such a loaded system, but it might work.

<puts on flame suit>
You can replace the PSU with a regular ATX-12V model if you want. How do I know? Because I've done it in several modern Dell systems (4550/4600/2400/8250/400SC) and even used Dell PSUs on regular motherboards.

"But, but, but, everyone knows Dell uses proprietary PSUs." Negatory. Besides the SFF 4600C, all Dimension systems (and similar models from other lines like the PowerEdge 400SC, which is basically a Dimension 8300) from the last few years use standard ATX PSU connectors on the motherboard and standard ATX PSUs.

Please don't feel like you have to take my word for it. I have already compared the pinout wire-by-wire to the ATX 12V standard and it's identical (except for -5V DC which is absent and only used for ISA cards anyways... i.e. there are no -5v pins on the AGP or PCI connectors). To make it easier, there's even a label printed on the top of the PSU to make the job of checking the pinout easier.
</...>
 
This is what's currently in mine with the stock PS:

p4 2.4c
1 GB Corsair XMS (2x512)
stock Dell CD/floppy
36GB Raptor
80GB Maxtor
250GB WD
Hauppauge PVR250
BFG 6800GT @ 400/1100

Acting as my full-time PVR running BeyondTV and gaming machine, it's been 100% stable.

I'm currently shopping around on ebay for a cheap p4 EE chip and I will be done with this box 'til the next gen mobo's come out. Still, the 6800GT/p4 2.4 combo pushes out a decent 11.5k 3dmark03.
 
Thanks for the input. Aside from a 3.2 P4, my system is considerably less loaded than what you guys are running. I guess now I need to decide if the increased performance would be worth the increase in noise from a 6800GT. I've grown quite accustomed to the silence from my Sapphire 9800 Pro with a heat pipe.

Silly question. Of course it is: Doom 3 is finally coming out. :)
 
Back
Top