Does such a laptop as this exist?

Marduk

Gawd
I know this is likely just a pipe dream...but:

14.1" SXGA+ LCD
less than 5 lbs weight
X600 or comparable video
and...the kicker: Athlon 64/Turion

Well, since that has a Pentium-M, it doesn't really do what I'm looking for.

Why no Pentium M? 64-bit is just hype right now, Turion is only marginally better in games than the Pentium M and that's about the only area turion is better than the Pentium M. Also, until AMD gets their heads out of their asses and makes a mobile socket, finding a small Laptop with an AMD CPU will be impossible (Turion uses full sized Socket 754 which is twice the size of the Pentium M's socket 479.

I have a Pentium -M right now in my T42P. I love it.

Unfortunately, with the way I have it set up (2hdds, 15" UXGA LCD), I'm getting DTR-ish battery life (3 hours or so) and power, but I'm not getting the battery performance I'd like to expect from a Pentium-M, or OpenGL Gaming, due to the FireGL T2 GPU. And given the weight of my desktop (near 80lbs)...I'd like something a bit more portable for all the LANning I do.

So, I'm looking at getting something more gaming friendly, while retaining a smaller form factor similar to that of the T42P I'm looking to "trade in".

Right now I'm leaning very heavily towards the Ferrari 4000. I want a stiff lid (which my T42P has...), which it seems to have. It's got better gaming capability than my current setup due to the X700...

the 9300 is just too large for me to even consider. I don't want the heat, noise, and size that comes with P4s & Athlon64s.

A Turion seems like it would be a good compromise. A64 performance(but with a better videocard), with a smaller hit on battery life. I know it won't get Pentium-M battery performance, but for what I'm used to...I'm not getting that anyway.

Mr_Evil said:
Why no Pentium M? 64-bit is just hype right now, Turion is only marginally better in games than the Pentium M and that's about the only area turion is better than the Pentium M. Also, until AMD gets their heads out of their asses and makes a mobile socket, finding a small Laptop with an AMD CPU will be impossible (Turion uses full sized Socket 754 which is twice the size of the Pentium M's socket 479.

64-bit is not hype. For my work, I would recommend it to anyone. I am able to run both WinXP 64 and Linux, both without issue. A year from now, when games require 64-bit for you to play with all of the options enabled, you will have to dump your laptop and get another one. Wouldn't it be prudent to get a 64-bit laptop?

Turions also offer very similar battery life to Centrinos, should they be configured in similar configurations with equally power-efficient parts. Don't forget that the most power draw, (from all of my readings) is not generally the CPU, but the screen.

I was under the impression that the Turion could be bought in a socketless form in addition to the socketed versions. Am I wrong?

Josh_B said:
64-bit is not hype. For my work, I would recommend it to anyone. I am able to run both WinXP 64 and Linux, both without issue. A year from now, when games require 64-bit for you to play with all of the options enabled, you will have to dump your laptop and get another one. Wouldn't it be prudent to get a 64-bit laptop?

Turions also offer very similar battery life to Centrinos, should they be configured in similar configurations with equally power-efficient parts. Don't forget that the most power draw, (from all of my readings) is not generally the CPU, but the screen.

I was under the impression that the Turion could be bought in a socketless form in addition to the socketed versions. Am I wrong?
Doesn't matter if the Turion comes socketless or socketed...it still uses that HUGE socket 754 packaging. And for now 64 bit is all hype, nothing uses it (at least not to its full potential) and the only game that supports 64bit just turns off a bunch of effects to make you think you're taking advantage of your hardware.

Oh, and before people start calling me an Intel whore...
newsetup.jpg

If my Dynamic DNS is being gay the pic is of my 3200+ Venice and A8N SLI awaiting a 6800 GT.

Mr_Evil said:
Doesn't matter if the Turion comes socketless or socketed...it still uses that HUGE socket 754 packaging. And for now 64 bit is all hype, nothing uses it (at least not to its full potential) and the only game that supports 64bit just turns off a bunch of effects to make you think you're taking advantage of your hardware.

Oh, and before people start calling me an Intel whore...
newsetup.jpg

If my Dynamic DNS is being gay the pic is of my 3200+ Venice and A8N SLI awaiting a 6800 GT.

Microsoft and others have already started to develop 64-bit apps. There are already applications that require 64-bit. Sure, Farcry's 64-bit mod made a small difference, but nonetheless, don't you want to experience the full potential of your games and apps?

Why would you buy a new CPU that you know will be obsolete very soon. I do agree with you, in the sense that we do not know *how* soon though.

Here's the way I read it, it took how many years before games started requiring programmable shaders? We're just now seeing games REQUIRE programmable shaders, GeForce 3 was released what? 4 years ago? We're looking at another 2 years minimum before 64 bit catches on. I'd say nobody's going to need 64bit until the OEMs (Dell, HPQ, Gateway) start releasing dirt-cheap 64bit PCs. Even then, there will still be plenty of 32bit apps out there. At least AMD did 64bit right by making a 64bit CPU that performs quite well running 32bit code.

Mr_Evil said:
Here's the way I read it, it took how many years before games started requiring programmable shaders? We're just now seeing games REQUIRE programmable shaders, GeForce 3 was released what? 4 years ago? We're looking at another 2 years minimum before 64 bit catches on. I'd say nobody's going to need 64bit until the OEMs (Dell, HPQ, Gateway) start releasing dirt-cheap 64bit PCs. Even then, there will still be plenty of 32bit apps out there. At least AMD did 64bit right by making a 64bit CPU that performs quite well running 32bit code.

I'm not sure it will even be two years before you'll want to upgrade.

My thinking is that within a year power users will want 64-bit machines. ;)

Wow... a thread where two people have different opinions and it hasn't degenerated into flaming yet. *Queue Q3 announcer* IMPRESSIVE!

Considering the fact that windows is creating both a 32bit and 64bit version of Vista at the same time, giving both equal attention... I wouldn't worry about 64 bit. You'll want a new laptop by the time you want it.

As for 64 bit... it's... silly. It's only benefit with current CPU's is that it opens up SSE registers. The performance increase you see if from that. If there were extra 32bit SSE registers, you'd see the same performance in 32bit. I think 64bit CPU's have a long way to go.

I agree, 64-bit is a waste right now. Also, the turon eats up a lot more power than the Pentium-M. I think they preform about the same, but theres really no point to it. By the time 64-bit compatible programs become mainstream, the next generation of processors will roll along. It won't become mainstream until everyone has it. And because theres no notebook that has those specifications, you can assume very little people have 64-bit compatible processors.
Also, the performance benefits arn't gonna make you jump out of your seat. Sometimes you just need to break out of brand-loyalty and get whatevers best on the market.

which is why I ordered the Ferrari 4000 over 2 weeks ago.

And it games much better than the IBM T42P I had before it.

Battery life is on par with the 1.6ghz 730 I had in the Toshiba A4-S211, so I'm happy with the battery life (3.5 hrs)

And it's running x64. only problem I have with it is the GPS from MS isn't x64 compatible yet.

Exactly. That is why it's not mainstream. For full usage of your 64 bit processor, you need programs specifically optimized for it. Most programs are created with 32 bit in mind. You will not be able to use the full potential of the 64 bit processor anyways. By the time 64 bit is mainstream, your processor will be obsolete. Why waste money on something like that?

Date of birth on this thread: 7/11/05.

Date of my purchasing a Ferrari 4000: 7/14/05

Date of my receiving the Ferrari 4000: 7/23/05 (God Damned Fed Ex misrouted it)

Date of my telling people that I had bought the laptop and this thread was obsolete: 8/1/05.

So why, 2 months later, are we bringing this thread back up? The Ferrari I have kicks the ass of every other 15.4" laptop out there. That's good enough for me. (Unfortunately, I'm looking into getting rid of it, and getting a Pentium-M based ultraportable (where the P-m shines)).

Back