Does such a device exist?

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
I'm looking for a media streamer that will stream from my media server to my projector. I have no need for, nor do I want a device that streams from the Internet. all I want is a box that streams local content and nothing more. Does such a device exist?

Canned Solution:wdtv
DIY/Hobbyist Solution:Raspberry Pi or higher end HTPC
Quick and Dirty Solution:Some kind of Android device with some server apps. (will work for sure for 720p but may struggle with 1080p)

I have a gbok midnight mx2 and it streams from my media server using xbmc just fine

Read the reviews on the WDTV and it seems spotty at best. People complain about it refusing to play some files/formats for no apparent reason. This is a deal breaker for me because my files are in every format available.

The gbok seems to suffer from false advertising. It seems that XBMC for Andriod only outputs 720p and only down scales 1080p. Since my display device is a 1080p projector throwing a 120" picture, I'm afraid it would ruin the experience.

Seems like every streamer I've researched so far suffers from one problem or another that most people find serious. I'd love to find a XMBC streamer like the gbok but it's gotta work reasonably well.

Thanks to all for your comments and thanks to anyone else who would like to chime in.

Or just get a NUC with Celeron 847 (~150 euros), add a 24-32GB mSATA SSD (~30 euros) and 2GB RAM (~20 euros), install OpenELEC, done.

Yes one of the NUC or NUC like products is probably your best choice.

If you setup plex server on you main file collection location then I have heard good things about the Roku 2 X's and they can be had for $50 ish refurbished. Alternatively depending on your cost limitations as opposed to the intel nuc units there are the amd e350 solutions. I have a foxconn A3550 (i dont think they make these any more) but handles 1080p quite well both off local storage and streaming for network). The downfall to all of this is you then have to mess with a pc front end.

You might also be able to get by using an old ps3 or 360 but you will need to transcode stuff depending on the formats of your media. Have you also looked at smart bluray players as they might get the job done as well as I think the Samsungs have a plex app.

I'm trying to avoid a full fledged HTPC solution as I think it would be over kill but if it makes sense financially or otherwise then that's the way I'll go. I'd like to avoid unknown limitations and glitches as much as possible.

one of those little hdmi android thumbstick things + XBMC for android?

Plex Media server on the server side and Roku or better yet, GoogleTV device with Plex. Doesn't get any prettier or more user friendly.

Ill have to look into Plex. I'm a little frustrated with XBMC at the moment. I added a drive full of movies. Some in folders but most in the root directory. XMBC added the ones in folders just fine but ignored the ones in the root. This seems kinds stupid and lame.

Ill have to look into Plex. I'm a little frustrated with XBMC at the moment. I added a drive full of movies. Some in folders but most in the root directory. XMBC added the ones in folders just fine but ignored the ones in the root. This seems kinds stupid and lame.

Then organize your movies? Or use xbmc in dumb mode and it will display just like windows does.

XBMC is set by default to only catalog (scrape) one movie per folder based on the folder's name. You can change this setting via the "source" settings when you add a folder to the catalog (uncheck use folders for lookup)

Wow, thanks to both of you. I'll admit I'm a noobe when it comes to xmbc and I still have a lot to learn.

Media Companion looks mucho cool. Gonna play with it now.

There's a lot of very good info in this thread- I'm impressed at how far some of these solutions have come! Now if anyone actually downloaded or transcoded movies anymore...

I hate to ask, but about the only damn thing that I'd want to 'stream' would be transcodes of Blu-ray movies (or DVDs, not sure if I have any of those) to a laptop that runs Windows 8 and functions as an HTPC. Is there a way to set up XBMC (or other) to be main/only thing that loads when a particular user account is logged in? Is there a facility for logging that account out? Not really interested in messing with it if it isn't stupid-proof as I wouldn't be the one using it the most, etc.

I'm trying to avoid a full fledged HTPC solution as I think it would be over kill but if it makes sense financially or otherwise then that's the way I'll go. I'd like to avoid unknown limitations and glitches as much as possible.

I have a C2D Mac mini. Silent, fast with ssd, and cost effective because it works with everything I toss at it. Works with harmony remote too. Total cost was less than 400, I spent way more time and effort (time is money) trying to get a roku and jail broken Apple TV to work properly.

The KDLink HD720 has arrived and I've had some time to play with it. Here are my impressions.

The good.
1. It comes with all cables that are need including an HDMI cable.
2. It does indeed play every format imaginable. I have yet to find one it won't play.
3. The navigation system is simple and easy to use.
4. It looks purdy and the remote works well.
5. The HD is very easy to install and requires no tools. Wish regular enclosures were this easy. Maybe they should patent this design.
6. email tech support is very responsive.
7. NO CREDIT CARD REQUIRED TO ACTIVATE IT !!!

The bad.

1. For some reason, the Initial setup screen come up every time I power it on.
2. Every time move from one screen/function to another the signal drops and then returns. If your TV has a hair trigger, it will move to the next source which can be very irritating.
3. The included manual totally sucks. Throw it away.
4. Can't get Poster and Fanart DL to work.
5. If your content resides on a network share you will have to constantly re login because it seems to forget it is logged in. Not really a big deal because it stores your login credentials but still, it shouldn't be this way. I put a HD in it and can copy content to to it via the network, this works better.
6. Their website is geared totally towards sales. Support is non existent. You'll have to email them for it. But as noted above, they are very responsive to emails.

The indifferent

1. This thing also serves as a external HD but only USB 3.0. This is kind weird but not really a problem for me as I don't intend to use it as such.
2. It bills itself as a NAS and FTP server. It has no web interface so I don't see it being very useful as either. But again, I have no intention of using it as either so these too are mute points.
3. It does not come with batteries for the remote. I have plenty of AAA batteries so this isn't an issue for me.
4. The little feet on the bottom are glued on with crappy glue. It doesn't take much to dislodge them. A little crazy glue takes care of this so no big deal.
5. The menu system has it's share of Chinese logic that takes some getting used to but nothing too bad.

The important thing is that it performs it's core function, playing media files, very well and that's the most important thing.

Back