• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Does SMplayer play commercial DVD's?

Starrfoxx

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 27, 2007
Messages
67
I'm testing out SMplayer on my PC, and I thought it could be used to play commercial DVD's. I saw a screenshot of it playing "King Kong", but whenever I try to play a DVD it just gives me black and doesn't play it.

Does anyone have experience with this player, or can they recommend a better player for WinXP that can play DVD's for free?
 
VLC can do it, so can Media Player Classic. Never heard of SMplayer personally, will take a peek here in a few.

A few minutes later...

Using the portable version, and the answer is yes, it plays commercial CSS encrypted DVDs - however, I've noted one little thing that irritates me a bit. It automagically starts up and goes way past all the default FBI warnings (a good thing since we've all seen them enough), copyright crap, movie previews, studio bullshit, etc, and gets right to the meat and potatoes.

The problem with that is you can't get access to the menu structure at all from what I see. When you list the available Titles, no matter which one I choose it won't load the default menu on this Stargate: Atlantis commercial pressed retail disc (not a copy, this is the real disc). Was trying to take a screenshot but apparently it's not hitting the Overlay mode correctly (I'm using XP Pro x64, everything else can capture it like MPC or VLC, etc). Just for the record, I closed SMplayer then opened the disc with MPC and this is the root menu I'm talkin' aboot:

stargateatlantisjq1.png


Note that's not just a framegrab, it's the entire MPC client window itself. This (meaning SMplayer) appears to be a custom rebuild of Mplayer so, I would expect it to work great. Stick with the portable version which works fine and doesn't leave stuff laying all over the place... or try MPC since it's just a single .exe file, nothing else, so it truly IS portable unlike most other applications. Even SMplayer and VLC require a "folder" of sorts to contain all their code... MPC doesn't suffer from that limitation.
 
Funny that you put Stargate Atlantis in your post, because I just recently finished watching Season 4 on DVD. :)

I'm trying VLC, and it's working really well. No, it's not the prettiest thing, but when you play it full screen it doesn't matter. I haven't tried Media Player Classic. Do I need any special codecs for that to play DVD's?
 
Back
Top