Does samsung Evo ssd work with AM3+ chipsets

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
I read a few reviews on newegg saying it won't work with AMD chipsets and someone from Samsung actually replied and said it works with just Intel.

I read a few reviews on newegg saying it won't work with AMD chipsets and someone from Samsung actually replied and said it works with just Intel.

This seems really odd to me, SATA is a standard it should be functional with anything that complies with the standard.

Looking at the newegg reviews for the 120GB version of the Samsung EVO, I chose to look at the 1-egg reviews and this was on the top:

WARNING: DO NOT BUY THIS IF YOU OWN A RECENT AMD MAINBOARD! SAMSUNG DOES NOT, NOR DOES IT PLAN TO START SUPPORTING NEWER AMD MAINBOARDS CONTAINING THE MARVELL CHIPSET.
Nowhere in the product description or in Newegg's own description or when installing the accompanying Magician software was there EVER any warning that this SSD device is COMPLETELY INCOMATIBLE with newer AMD mainboards and specifically the Marvell chipsets they come with. It doesn't even support Micorosft's own certified AHCI driver! After 3 minute boot times, lost data, BSOD etc.. I finally dug deeper and found this out. Newegg should have a disclaimer and Samsung's software should not have told me that my system met all the requirements and proceed to install and corrupt my system resulting in days on end of lost time and data to troubleshoot this. I'll research, but if anyone knows which SSD would work on my 1 year old AMD mainbaord I would love the advice.Meanwhile it's RMA time. :(

Further down in the 1-egg reviews, a customer says this is what Samsung told him:

I have a gaming machine with 3.5ghz phenom processor and 8 gigs of DDR 3 memory, Geforce GTX 460.

I contacted samsung about my IOPS random read and IOPS random write only getting about 35% of the speed they are supposed to and about my drive NOT waking from sleep at all unless I completely cut the power to my computer and turn it back on that way.

Samsung would NOT provide support for me they ONLY said this:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Samsung SSD Support regarding your concerns and inquiries. You mentioned you have an AMD processor and chipset. The reason I mention this is because Samsung SSDs do not work correctly with machines that contain AMD chipsets. Our SSDs are recommended for use with Intel chipsets and because of this you will see performance issues with your SSD. Now concerning your second issue, the AMD chipset may also be responsible for the sleep mode problem that your having. If your looking for maximum performance from your SSD, the best environment would essentially be a windows based machine with a Intel processor and chipset.

I have my doubts. If AMD's chipsets were so screwed up they couldn't take a mainstream SSD, wouldn't there be megathreads about it here?

I think it will work with AMD chipsets as long as you don't install their AHCI/RAID driver.

Taken from the Samsung Magician installation PDF:

dh7d3t.jpg

Well that is pretty silly......

How would you go about not installing their drives just skip the software bundle I have a 840 it works great but maybe they changed something with the evos.

840 and 840 Pro work wonderfully on AMD.

I know first hand. I have built many office PCs with A10-5800Ks due to price to performance ratio with Samsung 840 base mode and a couple pro SSDs and they work fantastically.

So my 2 pennies worth..go with 840 or 840 Pro.

While the EVO is a interesting hybrid of old and new tech it's just "Intel only" aspect is fucking retarded.

fuck I just built an AM3+ rig for a friend and this EVO is on the way.... bullshit if it doesnt work, I'm gonna be pissed

IMHO it's pretty simple. SATA devices aren't just for Intel and AMD chipsets. They should also work in gaming consoles, NAS boxes running who knows what for an OS, non-x86 systems, etc. One of these products has a bug or is not SATA compliant and should not be advertised as having SATA support. I don't really know which but my money is on the Samsung being broken, mostly because I can't think of another SATA device that doesn't work on AMD chipsets. I bet their customer service rep is just spewing bullshit because they don't want to admit they have a problem. A firmware update to fix it will probably be along shortly.

If it makes anyone feel better my x25m 120gb intel ssd wouldn't work on my amd rig with amd drivers for the longest time till intel finally did a firmware update to fix the issue. Though I switched to intel now.

Back