does removing the IHs help temps at all?

im told its a 2-5c difference, and the IHS makes a cool keyring :p

Removing a IHS nets about 3c-7c on idle and about 10c-12c on load and also depends on the CPU and process.

Unfortunately it is pretty easy to damage the core with some HS/Fan systems. If the HS/Fan is a clip on it can crack the core. I should know becasue I did it to my FX-53:(

I chipped the corner of the core with an XP-90. It was totally my fauslt but I would reccomend using a bolt on system or something like a CNPS 9500 if going naked.

I have always went naked with K8 and usually gains around the 80Mhz mark for OC.

I've heard of people who went as far as removing the IHS and lapping the processor.

I read a guide on doing that a few years ago with a Barton XP2500+. You need balls to that. Big big balls.

yeah if you have a clip on type (expecially the sweating bullets XP120) dont take the IHS off. the risk is not worth the reward.

screw in type heatsinks or waterblocks however, is much safer

holli4pirating said:
I've heard of people who went as far as removing the IHS and lapping the processor.

i know taking off the IHS helps temps A LOT because that takes out the "middle man" but lapping the core :eek:

Small... sure, unless he's running his screen in 640x480 ;).

Um. Lapping the cpu die is a bad idea. Regardless of what anyone says. I can almost guarentee you'd see no results unless you had a defunct chip. Honestly, companies like Intel and AMD have such strict guidelines for their chip designs that you'd probably only make it worse.

As for removing the IHS, yes, it does make a difference. Many WC users report temps up to 8'c lower under load. That's a big deal, enough to stabilize a 1ghz overclock sometimes, but just isn't worth the risk if you have a clip on HSF.

yea i am really glad i didnt try it because i just put on my xp-120 and wow it was intense

00ber_m00 said:
I hate to bring another man down but those are damn small. :cool:

holli4pirating said:
They'd have to be cold forged steel too, and if that's what your balls are made out of, you're in serious trouble, my friend.
ROFLMAO :p

Back