• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Does removing the GTX 280 shell help keep it cooler?

[H]adouken

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 31, 2008
Messages
1,039
1) Does removing the plastic shell with the design on it keep it cooler than keeping it on?

2) Does it void warranty or can I put it back on later if I need to RMA it?

Thanks!
 
[H]adouken;1033566177 said:
1) Does removing the plastic shell with the design on it keep it cooler than keeping it on?

2) Does it void warranty or can I put it back on later if I need to RMA it?

Thanks!

The plastic shell is there to force air directly through as much of the heatsink as possible. Don't take it off.
 
And yes it will most likely void your warranty. Although I heard some are more lenient than others.
 
Leave the covers on. I have removed mine on my 260's for cleaning. Taking the GPU out of its coffin so to speak ( old PII lingo ) with out other cooling option will roast the card.
 
The "shell" on the 280/260 is designed to move the majority of the air from the card out the back of your case. Remove it and then you will be dumping most of that inside your case. Plus with most card vendors I'm fairly sure removing it would void your warranty. Exceptions being EVGA and I think XFX. With those 2 as long as card is intact you're golden.
 
Back
Top