Does Prey with with CrossFire?

heatlesssun

Extremely [H]
Red Team members,

The Green Team is asking for your help, as the Prey demo doesn't work in SLI, not dual or quad.

So I noticed an ATI logo in the splash screen when exiting the game and wondered does it work in CrossFire?

Thanks Red.

I just downloaded it.. but havent tried it on my CF system yet. Sorry I cant be of more help. Ill try tomorrow, but someone will probably already have tested it by then. All I did was start it up, and set my settings. Was planning on playing, but got sidetracked for the rest of the evening.

Quote taken from another poster in the gaming section

"Runs great at 1920x1080, 4xAA and 16xAF, all other details set to high, with my Crossfire setup. Then again it should, it's an old engine."

Link

I renamed the demo .exe afr-friendlyd3d and it worked great, It has a 60FPS cap so don't expect much. I used 4xAA|16xAF all options to high|max.

Well did you do a before and after check? I didn't have a lot of time last night. I thought about doing the AFRFriendly thing but just wanted to play. Runs great.

Blacklash said:
I renamed the demo .exe afr-friendlyd3d and it worked great, It has a 60FPS cap so don't expect much. I used 4xAA|16xAF all options to high|max.

So to recap, the Prey demo does not work in AFR CrossFire mode by default because there is no profile in the driver telling it to. ATI's CrossFire defaults to SuperTile mode when no profile is there to tell it to do something otherwise.

You can force AFR mode in any game by renaming the EXE as Blacklash did. This goes for every game title. This is the same as creating a profile and forcing a rendering mode with profiles in NV's drivers. Though with ATI you don't have to create a profile, you just rename the EXE to force the rendering mode.

Hopefully ATI will put a profile in the drivers for the retail version of the game to do this automatically in the future without having to force it by renaming the EXE.

How quickly they will have a new driver out with Prey support concerns me though considering they don't even have GRAW support yet, and that game was released almost 2 months ago now.

Brent_Justice said:
How quickly they will have a new driver out with Prey support concerns me though considering they don't even have GRAW support yet, and that game was released almost 2 months ago now.

Prey is an ATI sponsored game so I imagine they will workin on the "next big game" rather quickly

Nobody likes GRAW :D
kidding

Not going to act like I understand this completely but I don't think even though this game is based of the Doom3 Engine, it runs on somethign new making it work more in line with directx rather that opengl to help out the xbox360. Let me find the link.

edit: found it
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/prey/news.html?sid=6149389
Originally Posted by GameSpot
For those who were dismayed at the poor performance of Quake 4, the last Doom 3 engine game to hit the Xbox 360, take heart: even in its unfinished state, Prey was running nice and smooth in 720p and played well with Halo-style controls. Luckily, the developer has essentially gutted the engine's graphics subsystem and rewritten it to use Direct3D instead of OpenGL, resulting in vastly improved performance over Quake 4.
Maybe that's why the SLI profiles can't see it?

All the ads for GRAW at least still have the ATi logo on it. Everywhere! If I had the box and retail game, I'd be surprised if it wasn't just as ATi branded as Prey etc.

Go to widescreengaming forum and use the same fix as Doom3 and Quake4. 4 commands that I like to put into an autoexec.cfg file in the "base" folder. If you enter game options it might have the all too common annoyance of changing your stuff back, had you used the normal cfg file, but autoexec is executed every time the game is.

ctrl + alt + ~ to get into console.

r_mode "-1" will allow you to utilize the two commands: r_customheight "x" and r_customwidth "x". You can choose the rendering resolution this way. When you set the variables, vid_restart in console.

I can confirm what Blacklash posted.

With the normal Prey.exe running at 1600x1200 (4AA/16AF in-game, AAA/AFHQ via CCC), I was getting a frame cap of around 25fps, but it didn't look like 25fps (25fps makes my brain ache), it's kinda strange. I also suffered from a tiny amount of mouse lag, even in the menu system, which made it a pain to aim.

With the Prey.exe renamed to afr-friendlyd3d.exe it completely changed the performance of the game! Same settings as before, but now with a frame cap firmly stuck at 60fps! Silky smooth with no mouse lag either. Time to give it whirl at 1900x1200.

I might try going with Quake4.exe, in case there is anything more to be had from the profile they set up.

One note in general for any game:

If you name the .exe afr-friendlyd3d.exe and it does not enable Crossfire just knock of the .exe part for a plain afr-friendlyd3d.

Yes, I did try Prey before and after. Crossfire is definitely active when the .exe is renamed. When I was messing around with GRAW I just right clicked on the renamed .exe and told it to "send a short cut to desktop". That will give you a working shortcut and enable you to start any altered game fast.

I rename the .exe with some games because I prefer AFR performance to supertiling.

BTW if you find a game that makes poor use of SLi or Crossfire, actually enabling a performance hit vs a single card, try turning on SLi or Crossfire 8xAA before you give up. This applies to the 7950 GX2 as well.

Back